I need your help ladies

OK my hubby and I are catholic. We both grew up in strict catholic families where religon was pushed at us. Once we got together we rarely went to church and our kids have only been a few times. Its not that we dislike our religon its just that we needed a break! Now that we are older and have mellowed out a bit we have been thinking of going back to church and having the kids baptised. Only one problem the church wants you to join as a member and take up gifts and read scriptures and such and we are not comfortable with that. we just want to renew our faith and introduce our kids to our religon.
My question for you ladies is Is there a group that i could join to help me work my way back into my religon? I searched but am not quite sure about some of the groups any suggestions would be great! Thanks

sdADDmom

Asked by sdADDmom at 2:14 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• to be honest with you this isnt the best place to ask. you get all religions and non...
    me i say if you slowly start going it will ease in.
    I wouldnt baptize the kids. Like you said yall got pushed into it. so y make them. let them deside what they want to do.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 2:20 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Funny, there was a time when Catholics were not encouraged to carry Bibles at all...the daily or weekly liturgy was supposed to be enough.

I don't know of any online groups. But you could just attend some masses as a family without becoming members, then decide what you want to do.

Be aware that some churches have become very strict on godparent selection. Our local church didn't want my brother to be my son's godfather because he's not a member of a parish. They suggested we make some friends in the church so they could be godparents. That didn't play well with us at all...it smacked of opportunism at the very least.

My son was baptized by a Lutheran minister, and my brother is his godfather.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:07 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Have you looked at other Christian denominations or other churches that might suit your families needs better?

thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 4:17 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I am not trying to be mean but take a break? You want to take a break from God? I think of if I want to take a break then would you want God to take a break on you when you need him the most? Not saying that u did give God a break but you said you wanted to take a break and I was wanting to know from God or what? Also there are alot of groups you can join bible study groups go to my page and look at the groups im in maybe that can help you. GOd bless you
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 4:37 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I think she meant take a break from church...which doesn't automatically imply taking a break from God.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 6:11 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Taking a break from church certainly does not mean taking a break from God. You don't need to go to church to have God in your life.

I think all churches are different. I've visited a few Catholic churches and I don't think they ALL require you to do those things. Yes, they require you to be members but that mainly just means they want you to donate money, which if you belive in their message isn't a bad thing.

If you can't find a Catholic church that allows you to be the way you want, you may want to check into a dondenominational church. Most of them still baptize and STILL teach the ways of the Bible. It's just more relaxed and many of them have LOTS of activities for your family to get involved in and get back into the "church scene". Good luck!
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 7:15 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• **nondenominational** - sorry for typo. LOL.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 7:16 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I don't know of any church that allows its participants to choose to set their own guidelines. There may be some, but I don't know of any.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:33 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• if your asked to do something you arent comfortable with then say no. dont di it. simple as that.
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 8:38 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Maybe the catholic church isn't for you guys? Why not check out some other Christian denominations and see if anything else appeals to you. Many of the traditions that religions use are all manmade and are not in the Bible. I know catholics have a lot of rules and traditions. Maybe something not as strict would better suit you.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:19 AM on Dec. 10, 2008