PACIFIERS FROM HOSPITAL

I dont know if aany other mom has done or knows this but here it is. Hi like any other mom i experiment on how to get my child to sleep pn his own (or rock him to sleep and put him in his own bed etc,). Well i dont really wanna participate in co- sleep or (putting my child down alone with a pacifier) but every since he was born i would swaddle him and sing/rock him to sleep , but he would always wake up screaming , it seemed like the only way i could even get sleep was to sleep is with him on my chest (PLEASE NO BASHING) i needed my sleep in order to take care of him (single mom) so i eventually gave in to the pacifier that the hospital gave me. Well needles to say it worked like a charm but within this past month he start to suck on it then just drop it and cry so ever since then i have been wondering and practically pulling my hair out to figure out why he stoppped showing interest.
Well these past few weeks my gut has been telling me to try the paci i bought him from walmart(that didnt work when he was a newborn) (u know the regular non-hospital kind) bc something was telling me he outgrew the paci i have been giving him. My logic was that the regular paci supported the fact that his mouth was growing and gave him more suction then the hospital brand(and it supported his curves outside of his mouth instead of a dull flat one). I guess my gut was right bc at 10 am this am he woke up for a feeding and i could tell that he was tired (after the feeding)so i layed him down with his old paci and sang to him (needless to say it didnt work) then i gave him the regular one and he was sucking on that thing like there was no tommorrow.
For all of u moms that use the hospital brand and they have stopped working ...a bit of mama to mama advise switch to a regular one :) and again PLEASE NO BASHING

renah164

Asked by renah164 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are ages, on pacifiers for this exact reason. And I didn't know hospitals still gave pacifiers out...glad everything worked our for you.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:39 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• It really depends on the baby. I have 11 mo old twin boys. One always wanted the Soothie (hospital kind), and the other wanted the other style only. It's still that way now at 11 months.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 11:46 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• my daughter prefers the soothie ( hospital kind) over any other. She won't even touch the other ones... too bad I registered for like 6 cases of them!!! haha. I don't know how old your son is, but make sure you're using the right one for his age. Sometimes, my daughter will spit the soothie out to coo and say something, then the very next second she wants her paci back, so try again. Good Luck.
    cailynsmommy626

Answer by cailynsmommy626 at 12:10 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• They didn't get me a pacifier when I had my son, I had to send my son's father to the duane reade around the corner to buy one, all they gave me was the spare nipples for the formula they give you to take home
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• babies typically like their paci's to model the same shape as their bottles or a breast. so if you switched bottles this could be why.

but paci's are not evil. there is a lot of misconception about them believing they will become addicted and have teeth problem later in life.

the truth is for some reason they help reduce SIDS. so long and they are done away with after teeth come in there are no issues and even if your child has them until later in life and it does misshape their gums, once the paci is gone the gums typically return to their normal shape.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:31 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• we didnt get a pacifier from the hospital, but we had the same kind as what i believe you're talking about. my son liked that kind for about a week and then liked the shape of the avent kind better, which at 13 weeks, he still likes those.

i hope things get better for you and you can get some sleep!
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 3:04 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Depends on the kid. My girls refused to take any style pacifier except the ones they likes. And we somehow got them attached to one of the hardest brands/styles to find. It was a big pain. I couldn't just substitute something else and they only came in one size. My middle daughter actually took a different style (I think she had the regular NUK ones) and when I tried to move her up to the 6+ months one she threw a huge fit and refused to use it.

Luckily my older son never took one and my younger son gave his up on his own at like 4 months. They do make those hospital (the green ones) in a bigger size that you can buy in most stores. They only had preemie and newborn sizes when my kids were little or I would have tried the bigger ones for my two picky girls.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:01 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Pacifiers are wonderful things, I got irritated in the hospital when, as everyone advised me to, I asked for no paci and they gave baby one anyway, I should have just relaxed, babies need to suck. It's one of the 5 S's of the happiest baby in the world. My husbands family have a great story about how he gave up his pacifier, we are looking forward to using the same method with our kids.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:58 AM on Jun. 14, 2011