To the other Christians on here (NOT A DEBATE) have you ever questioned your faith, religion or church?

Are you afraid to question your faith? I have questioned my faith several times and it makes my faith stronger.

Please do not turn this into a debate or give me your personal stories about someone you knew that didn't question their faith. I am interested in other Christians and how or if they question or search for personal answers in their religion. Thanks!

vntNyll

Asked by vntNyll at 11:38 AM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, I think all good faithful people question. I've spent years away from my church, considered myself agnostic, at best, questioned the logic of religion or faith at all. But, these questions spurred me on. They made me research and study and question some more and take classes and try different forms of prayer and mediate and eventually, all that brought me back home.
    I think we are all damaged and it's what we do with the damage that makes all the difference
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 2:12 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I have never questioned my "faith." I have on occassion questioned my church..when I was a Baptist (raised Baptist) and later when I was Catholic. I concluded that my faith is unshakable because I believe my religion to be true..beyond a shadow of a doubt. My faith in my church is unshakable because they are always at the mercy of the people that make up their clergy or their membership. I cannot allow the shortcomings..an affair of one of the pastor's in my Baptist church and the crimes against children...the priest scandals.....shake my faith....all of these "sins" were committed by people...not God and not a church.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:45 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I questioned my faith several times when I was extremely ill. I have had 32 surgeries and am still here. I don't question my faith anymore. :)
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 12:25 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I always question my faith, beliefs, religion and church. And after questioning I continue to keep the course.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I think questioning is a wonderful way to grow and develop your spiritual side. I have explored many different faiths before I fully embraced the faith I have now. I still question but my faith has remained strong.  It's natural to doubt, especially in times of trouble, I really think this is okay.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Yes. I have questioned my faith .... yes it made me stronger. I am rooted more deeply in my faith now than I was before. I am not afraid to question it. 1John 4:1 encourages us to.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 3:28 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I have, yes, and it has only made it stronger. It's okay to question things...you shouldn't be afraid to ask questions.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 5:24 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I haven't had doubts, but I'm constantly exploring, cultivating, questioning, digging, etc. I reject a lot of the "orthodoxy" or "doctrine", so I'm not worried about questioning "the church". I just follow my heart and my convictions as to who Jesus was and what he meant. My beliefs are open to change, as I am constantly soaking in whatever information I can find (all I read anymore is books about religion, lol, it's been that way for about 3 years - and before then, even, I was very involved in church and religion and so forth. Religion has been my passion since I was a little girl), and exploring my own faith and spirituality. I will follow my heart and my convictions - rely on my personal relationship with God - and not worry about what other people tell me I "should" or "must" believe. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:07 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Yes, I have questioned my faith, had it tested, and that's the reason my faith now is as strong as it is.

Answer by missanc at 2:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• i have questioned MY faith, but not my GOD.
    i don't bother to question religion, mine or anyone's..religion is legalistic, inhuman, and impersonal.
    i have questioned several 'churches'..some idealogy or tenets or practices, and of course, those in authority are always 'in question' as they are man/woman and therefore, infallible and always up for review.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:48 PM on Jun. 5, 2011