How old do you think is to old for a paci?

my dd is 3.5 and still on one I cannot for the life of me get her off of it. I have tried everything she litterly screams all day long and I can only take so much. I took it away as long as 8 days and she litterly screamed nonstop I thought she would forget about it, but she wont. It was a long 8 days especially at night no sleep or anything. I have tried having her give it to another baby I mean everything. I even tried to start off with giving it to her at only bedtime and naptime and it doesn't work. She wants this thing all day long

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't think a baby needs one past age 1, and even that is pushing it. You're going to have to be tough and it won't be easy, but a lot of issues of parenting isn't easy.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Just throw them all away...she is waaayyy too old for a paci and old enough to know better then to scream all day. I stopped at 6 months,but deff. not past a yr.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Not past 1 year. Almost 4 years old is way too old. Just throw them out, it's that simple. They will nag and cry but they are not going to die because they don't have a pacifier.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• If they can talk, they're too old. I don't know HOW many times I've seen a 3,4,even 5 year old trying to talk to me with that plug in their mouth. Once they have most of their teeth sucking on one can, and will, damage their teeth; just like thumb sucking.

Get ready for a huge battle over this, because you've given your power away already, so it's going to be that much harder when you finally DO decide to take the things away. 1) cut off the tips of ALL the pacifiers, or 2) throw them all away and brace yourself for the power struggle.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:35 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I would take it away from her, ignore her screaming she'll get over it once she sees something else she wants lol that's how kids are they get hooked onto things so quick
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• My daughter stopped at 6 months but i would have taken it away by no later than a year.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Try cutting off a little bit at a time of the tip. I'm curious if this will work. Pretty much it will be down to nothing and then she won't really want it anymore, well that's what's supposed to happen. And maybe keep talking to her about getting rid of it to get the idea in her mind. For example when you go to the store and she sees a toy she likes I'd say that is a nice toy, it's a very nice toy but only little girls that don't have a paci(or whatever she calls it) is aloud to have one of those toys. Some people are against that but I do it, whatever works! The longer you wait to break a bad habit the harder it's going to be. Good luck!
    Naplesmommy03

Answer by Naplesmommy03 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I had one until I was 42 (my "baby" was three)! Seriously, I feel your pain. Both my girls were well over three by the time we were able to get rid of them. I am the first one to admit that those pacifiers were as much for me as they were my kids. Pacifiers truly pacified and soothed my kids. I was embarrassed as they got older and would only let them have it at sleep time. I didn't want anybody talking about what a terrible mother I was by letting my toddlers have pacies. We broke the habit of my oldest when she was a little over three by getting her a bike. We had talked it up for weeks about how she was going to throw pacies away so she could be a "big girl" and ride a bike like big girls. She did great and didn't miss paci that night like I thought she would. She did great. I was the one who continued to miss it when normal melt-downs, crankiness, and owies occurred. :) Good luck.
    LoveHerDad

Answer by LoveHerDad at 12:37 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• You were almost there...... 8 days and then gave in? You only strengthend her resolve. She is learning ( you are reinforcing) if I scream loud and long enough I get my way. Buckle down Mama and lose the pacifier. Need incentive......how does $5000 in braces sound? You are the parent and know what is best for her. She is old enough to have a more age appropraite soothing tool. Help her pcik out something that meets the need for comfort in a more health way....soft stuffed animal, blanket, doll???? No sleep for a while, short term pain for long term gain. This is a double win: she will learn when you say something (no) you stick to it and you get rid of a baby soothing tool, that is most assuredly going to mess up her teeth .
    Momof315126

Answer by Momof315126 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• you could give her like a "big girl toy"(something you know she will like) but let her know she has to give all he pacifiers away because she is a big girl i saw it on tv once and it worked.
    roxy0522

Answer by roxy0522 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 5, 2011