Moving From Crib to big boy bed and he won't sleep past 8 am. WHY?

My son goes to sleep fine in his toddler bed. But now no matter what time he goes to bed he wakes up between 7:30 and 8 am. I'm not a morning person. In the crib he would wake up at like 10 or 11. I can handle 9 or 9:30 but 8 is just too early. Does anyone know why he's doing these or how to help him get more sleep.

fire_goddess005

Asked by fire_goddess005 at 2:25 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my boys been in there toddler beds for 2-3 months... i know where your coming from..i think to be honest they would wake up that early in thre crib couldnt do anything else so go back to sleep...
    we have there door shut...everything where it wont hurt them...and a baby moature...so i can hear them about a hour after they wake up they knock on there door for us to come get them they think thats how they get us..its cute.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 2:32 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I dont have to go anywhere until 5:30pm Mon-Sat. I did that on purpose b/c I dont like getting ready early in the am. But here's the deal...you have a chid and as early as three he can start school. Reagardless if you choose to put your kiddo in pre-school; he needs to be adjusted to getting up with the rest of the world and you'll eventually get used to it. I'm right there with you, but we gotta suck it up and get with it.
    CM2TX08

Answer by CM2TX08 at 2:33 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Oh, and unless he's sick or there's something really wrong- you don't need to get him to sleep later... he sleeps til he's supposed to..
    CM2TX08

Answer by CM2TX08 at 2:36 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• what time does he go to bed?? i don't put my son to bed till 9 ish so he'll sleep until 9. 12 hours of sleep plus a 2-3 hour nap seems to work for us
    humboldtmama21

Answer by humboldtmama21 at 2:43 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Kids are rather rude that way. **grin** He's getting the sleep he needs. You may not be getting to bed early enough yourself. If you need more, you're going to need to turn in earlier. Or learn to do with less.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:45 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Teach him to play by himself, and make sure there is nothing he can really get into to hurt himself. We put up a baby gate to block the hallway that separates the bedrooms from the living/dining room and kitchen and only leave the doors to our bedrooms open and our daughter plays in her room, on in ours, while we snooze.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 6:33 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I wish my kids would sleep until 8am =) The only thing I could think to do is to find some room darkening shades and maybe he won't know it's daytime yet and go back to sleep. Or maybe shorten or take away his nap. My 2 1/2 year old doesn't take naps, hasn't since she was about 2. She was too difficult to put to bed if she napped, and she'll sleep a full 12 hours at night now.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 7:25 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• hahaha at least its not 5-530////just think of me already bein up for 3hrs and that should help...oh wait thats right i wake up at 1230-1am to go to my night job and dont go back to sleep till 7-8pm! lol
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 8:30 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Must be nice to have a child that sleeps until 8 :)
    tessntylersmom

Answer by tessntylersmom at 12:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• WOW! I'm not a morning person either and I can't get mine to sleep past 6:50.

Did he sleep this late when he was in his crib or did he wake and play quietly since he couldn't get out.?
    If he played, there is nothing you can do. He has the freedom to get out of bed and play now. You can lock him in his room but you can't make him stay in bed.
    If he slept, try putting a light in his room on a timer. Then you teach him that he must sleep or play quietly in bed until the light comes on.

Good luck.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2008