Are artificial sweetners not healthy for children?

Artificial sweetners, health, children,

alli4god

Asked by alli4god at 12:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Health

• Artificial sweeteners are actually not healthy for anyone. There's studies that show that they can cause cancers and heart conditions. That's what my doctor tells me because I have a heart condition.
    Babyduche

Answer by Babyduche at 12:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• NO. They are actually very bad. Your child shouldn't be eating a lot of sugar anyway.
    Anonymous

• I agree a child should not be eating a lot of sugar.

I heard it is healthier to bake with sugar than artificial sweetner's. Do you agree or disagree?
    alli4god

Answer by alli4god at 12:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Never healthy for anyone. Splenda is a better alternative to sugar because it is made from sugar
    vle045

Answer by vle045 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I always considered splenda to be an artificial sweetener. Does anyone know any studies that show splenda is harmful? I think if your child hasweight or blood sugar issues that artificial sweetners are better. Also perhaps with other conditions. A study was just released that states that sugar is an inflammatory, those any child with joint issues might do better on an artificial sweetner. i know that saccharine has been linked with bladder cancer, but don't know of specificstudies on anything else.
    Zanjea

Answer by Zanjea at 1:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• No they are not. I believe the only sweetner that is ok besides pure sugar is Splenda.
    tfmmpmmdmmom

Answer by tfmmpmmdmmom at 2:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I just posted a journal last week about the use of aspartame. It can cause all kinds of problems, from symptoms mimicking MS to Systemic Lupus. It is HORRIBLE for anyone. If you want to see the article, PM me and I'll send it to you. Splenda is probably better.
    momx7

Answer by momx7 at 3:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I am going to pm you
    alli4god

Answer by alli4god at 6:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I am diabetic and I refuse to use any artificial sweetener, even Splenda. Splenda is NOT something that can be found in nature, it IS an artificial sweetener. There have been no long term studies regarding the safety of Splenda, and many people have reported side effects. Google "effects of Splenda" and see what you find. Read for yourself. Remember that NutraSweet (aspartame) was thought to be the greatest thing in artificial sweeteners until people started reporting side effects. If you HAVE to use a sweetener, use honey or brown sugar, or learn to satisfy your sweet tooth with fresh fruit or juice. I add apple juice to oatmeal, honey to iced tea, or I'll just go without.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:57 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• of course they aren;t healthy. If they KILL lab rats, what will they do to you over time?? Would you trust that enough to give to your baby??
    teamhalsey

Answer by teamhalsey at 11:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2008