Am I breastfeeding ok? How do I PRODUCE more milk? Any other tips?

Hello- I have a 9 day old baby. I am trying to nurse her- one of my nipples is more difficult for her- and it has become even harder for her lately as she has a little tongue tied problem- we are getting that corrected on Tuesday at an ENT's office. Otherwise- I am pumping a lot (like every 2-3 hours during the day and also trying her on the breasts as much as possible. Every night since I had her- I have been getting postpartum migraines and need to lay down with meds and oxygen. (My doc thinks they are caused by a mixture of hormones, stress and lack of sleep- so I was advised to let my hubby take over with formula/and the milk I had pumped and do the feedings at night- whch are about every 3-4 hours- Until I am over the hump with the headaches etc)... So this is why I am going crazy pumping during the day. Usually I get an average of 1 ounce out of each breast. Am I producing enough? How do I make more? I feel like I started going up to almost 2 ounces in my "good breast" and almost 1 ounce in my "bunk breast" and now I am barely making an ounce in each? Is there a way to get going better? What should I eat?/do? (I am gluten intolerant- so beer is out).  ***Also- when I am pumping lately- I usually get the milk out fast and then nothing comes out.  But I thought that stimulation was part of this so when I am pumping 10 minutes each breast- I usually get the milk out within the first 5 minutes and then just sit there with the pumps on my breasts- pumping nothing for the last 5 minutes...and I have it turned all the way up (Medela Pump In Style)  and it feels like it is barely pumping anything at all
Thanks for your help.

newmamanew2town

Asked by newmamanew2town at 12:46 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to relax. Make sure your pumping somewhere quiet. bring baby with you so you see her, hear her, smell her..or if baby cant be there have her blanket or something she wears near you....this will help your milk let down. about 10 minutes before you nurse or pump, drink a warm cup of chamomile tea..in the area you are going to nurse. This will REALLY relax you and your body will make so much more milk. I think it is a good idea that Dad helps you in the middle of the night too so you can rest and relax....
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:54 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Oatmeal increases your supply along with drinking lots of water. This worked for me ! Sorry about the PP headaches hope you feel better soon!
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 12:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I read ur question more u breastfeed more u produce milk its totally demaand and supply issue .i had heard this problem in one of far away relative who was advised by some one to nurse 2/3 times some older baby in familylike 2/3 months becuase he have good latch he broke her engrosement and her breast will be normal after trying 2/3 times in older baby.and try to latch ur baby on ur some filledbreast so that ur baby will be satisy and learn latch .i really donot know it will be work on u whtever i had heard i share .finally i just want to say do whtever u feel comfort but rtrying this never harm u may be this experiment give u and ir baby great relielf all the best
    krishh

Answer by krishh at 12:57 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Pumping is NOT a good indicator of how much milk you are producing. It isn't at all the same.
    It always helped me to pump one breast while baby was on the other breast.
    Also, you say baby is having trouble latching one breast? Have you tried squeezing a little milk out with your hand? Your breast may just be too full and hard for baby's little mouth to get a good proper latch.
    Keep at it, keep trying and asking questions. Soon all these little quirks will get worked out. Congrats momma!
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 1:02 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Keep hydrated and keep pumping and breastfeeding often.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 1:10 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Sounds like you are producing more then enough. To tell if baby is getting enough, count diapers. 6-8 diaper changes in a 24 hour period is what you are looking for. I'm not sure, but I would think the stress of pumping, etc, could make things worse, and I would try to aim to (IF POSSIBLE) just cut the pumping out, and during the evening when you are not feeling well, go into a dark/dim room and lay down. When she needs to nurse, have her brought to you, and nurse while lying down. Average pump output for most women is between 0.5 oz and 2 oz per session from both breasts combined. Also, when given expressed milk, babies need about 1 to 1.25 ounces per hour of separation, so for example, if you need to lie down and be alone for 3 hours, you will want to leave about 4 oz of milk to be given in small amounts, frequently. I hope some of this information was useful to you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:43 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• One more thing...having the suction all the way up might not be the right setting for you. Fiddle with it to see what yields the most milk. But it sounds like your pump output is right on target, especially for such a young baby.
    Krysta622

• THE MORE U HAVE YOUR BABY BREAST FEEDING DURING THE DAY THE MORE MILK U WILL PRODUCE I JUST WENT TO A BREAST FEEDING CLASS TODAY .
    AliciaLamoreux

Answer by AliciaLamoreux at 7:56 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• If you are not pumping when your baby is taking a bottle at night then you ARE risking your supply. It would be better if you just keep that baby laying next to you at night, then you don't need to get up, turn on lights, fix bottles, do anything but pop the breast in.

One ounce is a good output for a nine day old. But if dad keeps giving bottles when you're not pumping, your supply will go down.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 6:48 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• All these ladies have great advice! I would get hooked into talking with a lactation consultant to see if your supply is really low. If it is, try Fenugreek. It's a great natural herb that can increase your supply. And oatmeal and make sure to drink water when you are thristy!
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 5:41 PM on Jun. 6, 2011