Breast pumps-How does this work? And which one?

Do I pump whenever I want or only right before it's time to feed. My son is almost 6 months and I want to stop nursing and go to bottles. Is medela really that much better of a pump? To me, after seeing some of the reviews for many different kinds, they all have the same complaints.

Naplesmommy03

Asked by Naplesmommy03 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Personally, I think some pumps are money wasters. I bought one of the fancy double electronic things...and HATED it. Then I bought, from a consignment shop, a hand pump. (I forget which one) I LOVED that thing. I got a lot out, and it was so much less stressful.
    MedicMommy

Answer by MedicMommy at 12:59 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I had an evenflo single electric pump it was ok it got the milk out but not the way I wanted it to, I had medela double pump and it worked a little better the best way of course is if baby sucks and get the milk itself most of the electric pumps feel the same though
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I used a Medela electric pump when I went back to work when my daughter was 3 months old. I had tried a hand pump and told my husband she would be on formula before I ever used that again.... the Medela worked really well, I pumped until she was 18 months old and I never had any issue at all... in fact I always produced more milk than she consumed while I was away from her.

I pumped after nursing her in order to build up a supply of freezer milk, I would suggest the same for you as you transition from breast to bottles.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 1:13 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I had a medela pump in style and it was amazing. I would recommend it if you are planning on pumping for any length of time.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:27 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• My only advice is to do research on the correct fitting of the breast flanges for the pumps. Most come with the smallest size and if you are large chested, get bigger flanges. I got mastitis and much trouble pumping by using parts that were too small.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 10:51 PM on Jun. 5, 2011