Temper tantrums

My bro is 5 yrs old and he has terrible temper tantrums if he dosent get his way and my mom sometimes gives in and gets very fustrated im concerned bc i dont want my son to grow up taking after him(a whole nother situation of why i am living with my mother).....my mom is practically giving up and, just the other night i was telling my bro he needs to pick up his toys right now then he can finish watching his movie or hes going to go to bed early (7pm) well it worked but im wondering if it will continue to....any advise?plz no judging

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You are right! He needs somone to be firm with him or his behavior will continue. Five is too old to be having temper tantrums IMO. My 5yo sometims starts to lose it, but I remind him he's a big boy and calmly tell him wy he can't hve/do whatever it is and then tell him when he CAN (if applicable) so he knows.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 1:13 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Your son will not be like that if you don't allow it. He's continuing to throw the tantrums because he knows he will get what he wants. Although there will always be tantrums discipline must be there to keep it under control. Be tough but loving at the same time and you're little one will be fine. In the meantime I would suggest a parenting class to your mom.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• he needs structure. and a healthy balanced family life. hopefully your being there will give your mom the will power to not give up! hang in there!
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Maybe your mom is just too tired to try. having a grandchild and a five year old sounds pretty overwhelming to me. I think it's good you stepped in and helped. Maybe you should just talk to her, and see how she's feeling and what you can do to help her out.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:50 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I think its great you stepped in and helped.
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 9:09 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Your son will only act like him if you allow it. Be consistant with the rules and it will benifit both of them.
    aj23

Answer by aj23 at 11:17 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• He needs structure and someone to be consistent.
    heathermichelle

Answer by heathermichelle at 12:19 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• It is amazing how kids can really pick up on who they can "bend" and who they cannot "bend". Your brothers behavior will only affect your son if you allow it to; if you continue to be consistant with your rules, then your son will continue to follow them. Your brother on the other hand will continue to have the type of behavior that he has right now for his mother, but with you, may be a totally different kid. The bottom line is that kids want attention. They don't care what kind of attention...as long as they are getting some! If he gets more attention by throwing tantrums then he will continue doing that. However, he will quickly learn that you are not a pushover and what your rules are exactly...maybe you are there to be an example to your mother?...if she sees your interaction with him and the benefits that it has, maybe she will adopt your parenting style as well...? Good luck! You are in a tough position!!!
    Autumnmoore324

Answer by Autumnmoore324 at 12:22 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Definitely be consistant.
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 1:13 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• thanks girls u all are a big help :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:43 AM on Jun. 6, 2011