Bitting...how to stop

My son is 14 months old and bits when he is excited or frustrated. I know because he can't tell me EXACTLY whats he wants or needs he just bits. I just want to know,how do you stop this. Also what is the best way to approach this, ignore it, Say "no biting" seriously, put him in a time out( this will probably never work) what do you ladies think?

JacobsMommy05

Asked by JacobsMommy05 at 3:14 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Biting back is a terrible idea it only teaches the child if someone hurts you hurt them back! Just continue saying "No biting, it hurts " firmly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• i used to jump up, pretend to cry and say how much it hurts. my girl would sometimes feel bad, but usually laugh at me. nothing worked for us until I bit my 2yo back, just hard enough to show her it hurts. never got bit again!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• that's what I was going to say. Bite back. Just enough to get that point across. It's old school but quite effective.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 6:51 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• alot with disagree with this, but i would bite back, just like when she purpously pulled my hair i pulled hers back...just hard enough so they know. i use to be like "owy that hurt" but she didnt get it. if she is starting to get into that frustrated stage i try not to let it get any higher where she will want to bite. also (hubbys fault) he use to playfully bite while playing monster or whatever, so he stoped doing that, when she would do it but her playfully hurt bad...now we have replaced that with sloopery kisses! lol which now she likes to climb on you hold you down and lick your face...lol...
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 8:14 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• whenthey bite i bite back it puts a stop to all the bitting
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I would bite him back when my son starting doing that.....my BFF son bit too and i tought him also not o bite people by biting him back....i would bit and then ask if they liked the way it felt and then explain that it was just bad and you shouldnt bite people....JMO
    poobear5

Answer by poobear5 at 8:56 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• First we say OWWW. We bite back, not hard, but enough to where it pinches. He gets mad so then we hold him and rub it to say sorry. Did that for about a month and he hasn't bitten since.
    nerdyma7

Answer by nerdyma7 at 12:22 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Thanks ladies.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 1:40 PM on Dec. 11, 2008