"A child is always subserviant to an adult and should ALWAYS be treated as such!"

* Being placed in RD because that is where this comment came from (if the owner of the comment cares to claim it, more power to you- this is not an attempt to belittle, berate, or otherwise fling poo)

Taking into consideration what the Bible says regarding our roles as parents, then taking into consideration the KNOWN abuse which occurs within the church (everything from emotional/psychological/sexual/physical).... Do you believe that it is prudent to teach a child that they are subservient until they become adults themselves?

At what point, should they be considered their own entity and of value?

Do you not believe that teaching a child that he/she is subservient to all adults puts them in a position to be easily victimized?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 1:29 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Is that quote actually in the bible? I wouldn't teach my daughter that she is subservient to all adults. I teach her to have respect for people but my daughter learned the hard way that listening to adults is NOT ALWAYS a good idea!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:33 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• This is a very good question. I have no answers. I would say that statement is false. I would think there is a line in the middle somewhere. I do believe that a child should be raised to show respect, but I also believe that holds true for all human beings. My parents did raise me that way though... I will always remember my father telling me that little girls were meant to be seen, not heard. That's a very hurtful thing to say to a young girl.

I will be interested to keep an eye on this to see what others have to say.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:33 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• emmyandlisa- it was in part, and answer from another question (not taken out of context, either)
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Interesting because I dislike the word/ thought of being subserviant but when I have asked about it before people have all types of definitions- so- define it for me-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 1:41 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• That is not the way things are in my house.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:41 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I think it means,as far as some religions go,the woman always obeys the man,she also walks behind him. It is that way in the muslim religion.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:45 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• NO children should NOT be subservient. They should be listened to, and respected as well as the adults, just on a different level, because they are children, and aren't equipped to make certain decisions, and should be taught to have respect for others.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:52 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I think that children should be taught to respect adults. If an adult makes them uneasy than they should tell another adult. http://familyreformation.wordpress.com/what-is-family-reformation/
    is an article that you will either love or hate. Since we are a conservative family I personally love the article
    deniseh1973

Answer by deniseh1973 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Children are people too! I do my best to treat my children as I would adults. They are no less equal to me simply because they are younger. That said I am still the authority - so it's kinda a "citizen/judge" relationship, we are still equals and as long as they are behaving and doing as they should there aren't any issues, but on those occasions where discipline comes in to play I will step in and take care of things. In no way does that make them less equal to me, or subservient, they are children, not slaves.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:05 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I think they should be showed respect to learn respect (understand that it does not mean doing what they want) In my opinion in order for a person to learn respect they need to KNOW it. I have seen both sides to this growing up. My mom showed us respect and did not force us to do anything unless it was necessary, including picking our religion. My mothers sister forced it upon her children, they were to be subservient, they had no choices. Most of them are in not good places now. I also saw what happened with several friends in school. As soon as they got away from their parents they went wild, promiscuous, drugs etc. One of them is now dead to an over dose. I think giving them healthy boundaries is best all the way around. Read the book "How to raise emotionally healthy children" it is a really good book.

mommy-perks

Answer by mommy-perks at 2:11 PM on Jun. 5, 2011