What is the easiest way to transition from "co-sleeping" to him sleeping in his bassinett?

Ever since my C-section, I havent been able to sleep in my bed...it's WAY too hard for me to get in and out of it, so I've been sleeping on the couch in the living room, and just because it's easier when it comes to breastfeeding I've been having Sonny (6 days old) sleep on my chest...well next week I'm going to try to start sleeping in my bed again and with both me and my....plus sized husband in the bed, I'm a little nervous to continue to co-sleep and I was wondering what is the easiest way for me to transition from him sleeping on my chest to him sleeping in the bassinett next to my bed

Thanx mamas!

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 2:12 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i did the same thing what i started doing was i would let her sleep on my chest for a lil while then i would lay her beside me then after she got used to sleeping just beside i stated puttin her in her crib and she did fine good luck
    lillymom828

Answer by lillymom828 at 11:50 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• You can still put him to sleep on your chest but once he's sleep put him in the bassinet he'll get used to the routine
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• if you swaddle him he will feel more comfortable :D good luck mommy

kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 2:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I'm assuming he's been sleeping on his tummy on top of you? That's a hard one to break! Swaddling will help - with my oldest one I put a rolled up towel behind him (before he could turn over) so it gave him the feeling of still being next to someone. With my little ones I always put a motion and sound activated "heartbeat" bear (that mimics the sounds heard in utero), for my youngest I used a glow seahorse that played classical tunes for a few minutes, and I put a small blanket in their cribs that I had worn under my shirt during the day so they had my smell with them.

Answer by missanc at 2:41 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• after c section it's very hard for you to get on and off bed, it's painful. It took me couple of wks to get a hang of it. Does she sleep in the bassinet during the day? If so you can just put her there once she falls asleep, maybe put one of your shirt next to her. Or put her next to your husband so when she wakes up at night have your husband bring her over instead of you getting up and get her. If you keep getting up at night, you'll recover time will take longer, that's what happened to me. I got up for bf every night for the first month and I'm drained and it took me 5 wks for recovery.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 8:21 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• if i were you i would try and stop letting your little one sleep on your chest. I did that same thing with my baby girl and she got soooo used to it that it was very hard for me to get her to start sleeping in her bassinet. Hopefully you will not have the same problem tho!
    lovemylife88

Answer by lovemylife88 at 12:16 AM on Jun. 6, 2011