Would you have said something to this person?

We were in the store earlier and my youngest was acting up we had warned him 3 times and he still wouldn't quit so he got a quick swat on the buttocks--this is the method of discipline that we use and works for our children(it wasn't even that hard and he didn't even cry)and a woman that was passing us in the aisle stopped and had the balls to say "I should turn you into CPS and have your children removed from your care"

As I said my son didn't even cry he just knew enough to stop acting up like he was. I didn't say anything just kept on walking.

Question is would you have said something to her and what or would you have done what I did? I am not trying to start a debate or anything just wondering if you would have said something to the woman and what you would have said.

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 2:45 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yike! She was out of line. You did right by keeping your dignity and walking away.

Answer by Bmat at 2:57 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• My sister had something like that happen to her and one of her granddaughters. Her response was something like "look up the definition of child abuse".....
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Oh my...My son was acting up a few weeks ago at an event and I took him outside and gave him a good bop on his bottom and he cried, but because he knew I was mad, not because it hurt. Nobody said anything to me but if someone had, I really don't know what I would've done. I was upset with my child and focused on that, I'm not sure I would acknowledge the lady's rude comment, or if she would push me over the edge and I would say something. I'm sorry one out of line lady couldn't mind her own damn business...but you have my support.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I would have handed her my cell and told her to make the call...I have nosy people and will call their bluff every time
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 3:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• "Perhaps you shouldn't hit your kid in public? I think spanking is wrong, but the least you could have done was to remove him from the store and handle your punishing in private. A lot of people are "CPS-happy" these days.
    Anonymous"

Perhaps you need to reveal yourself so people know who you are and BTW I wasn't abusing him I swatted his butt ONCE and he knew the reason for being swatted for I had warned him 3 times before swatting his buttocks; as I said we swat our childrens bottoms as discipline
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I didn't hit him as you are saying I swatted his butt I know the difference between giving a child a quick swat on the bottom and abuse
    Christmaslver68

• I think you did the right thing i have done the same thing and if someone wanted to turn me in for it i would of said go for it there is a differance between abuse and getting after them.
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 3:40 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I would have handed my phone over to hr and said CPS is on speed dial
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:47 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I think people are way to nosey these days! There is a difference between advocating for children and downright nosey just to be all up in the business of others. Really? Was that how you were raised? Think about how it was back in the day, I am sure that WAY worse things occured before there was all this calling others abusers of children! A child wants to be guided in the direction of learning what is right and wrong behaviour! I am not sure what I would have said to someone who was so rude to butt into your child rearing! I am just sorry for you and sorry that your child had to witness them saying that to you!
    giggls2hrd

Answer by giggls2hrd at 3:47 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I don't like to spank in public, but I will if my kids are acting up really bad and not listening at all. There's nothing wrong with a little swat on the rear when nothing else is working. That woman probably never had children herself. If someone said that to me, I'd be pretty upset, though, I'm very reserved and wouldn't have said anything either. I think you were right to ignore her.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 3:53 PM on Jun. 5, 2011