What is the best way you have found to start the potty training process with a boy?

giggls2hrd

Asked by giggls2hrd at 2:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I waited until they were dry at night. I did have them go with their daddy into the bathroom to see how boys did it. I also did the naked thing outside so they'd get the idea of what happened (we have a private back yard), then I spent a weekend taking them to the potty every little while. It worked.

Answer by Bmat at 2:59 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old. With my oldest i had used pull ups until he didn't like to be wet what so ever. Then I switched to big boy undies. I used a pull up every now and then after that and it seemed to deter him from being potty trained. I would recommend not using pull ups once the big boy undies start. He was potty trained by his 3rd bday, but I remember 2 weeks straight of accidents before he never had an accident again... I need to start with my youngest soon. He likes to take his diaper off quite a bit lately, so it's probably time! Good luck!!
    mommasboys2926

Answer by mommasboys2926 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• MY HUSBAND IS AS REDNECK AS THEY COME LOL SO 4 US IT WAS EASIEST 2 TELL OUR BOYS 2 PICK A TREE THEY LOVED IT SO MUCH THEY WANTED 2 B LIKE DADDY & PEE ON A TREE ALL THE TIME & THEY DIDNT LIKE BEING WET ANYMORE SO THEIR DADDY HAD TO EXPLAIN 2 THEM WHEN IN THE HOUSE WE USE THE TOILET & IT TRAVELS STRAIGHT 2 THE TREE LOL BUT WE LIVE ON A VERY PRIVATE PIECE OF PROPERTY IF U DONT THE OTHER TIP I USED BECAUSE THEY USED TO PEE ON THE BACK OF THE TOILET THEIR AIM ISNT VERY GOOD WHEN JUST STARTING OUT LOL SO I USED 2 PUT A FEW CHEERIOS IN THE TOILET & TELL THEM 2 AIM AT THE CHEERIOS WORKS EVERYTIME DONT GET FRUSTRATED SOME KIDS GET IT MUCH QUICKER THAN OTHERS & SOMETIMES IT TAKES A LOT LONGER THAN WE WANT IT 2 SO B PATIENT U CAN ALSO SET A TIMER & MAKE IT A GAME WITH A REWARD GOOD LUCK IT CAN B A PROCESS! BUT NO MATTER WHAT ITS A REWARDING PROCESS IN THE END CUZ NO MORE DIAPERS YEA!
    CandelariaMama

Answer by CandelariaMama at 3:43 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I love all these Ideas!!!!!! They are very helpful!! Thank you all so much!!!
    giggls2hrd

Comment by giggls2hrd (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I waited until my kids turned 3. Then I waited until I could spend 3 days at home. I took the diapers away and used underwear. I took them every 1/2 hour the first day. Every hour the second day. By day 3 they were trained.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:46 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

I pray it is that easy with my little man!!!!! Thanks for the idea!!!!!!
    giggls2hrd

Comment by giggls2hrd (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Jun. 9, 2011