Choosing a gift for a child moving cross country...please help?

I'm getting ready to move cross country in about 3 month, but my dd's third birthday is in a few weeks. I want to give her a nice present, but I don't want to buy something we won't be able to take with us (I'm selling our furniture and only taking clothes, her most cherished toys and that's about it). Do you have any ideas for a nice gift?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• The greatest thing ever for a child that age is the new recordable storybooks--Hallmark and Toys R Us have them. You read the story out loud and it records your voice so when the child opens the book it is you reading to them. Sweet.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 4:52 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• how about just taking her for a mani/pedi and a fancy meal or tea somewhere? I never get my kids gifts that they keep because we siply do not have room. I took my dd for her first mani/pedi when she was 3, she loved it! Good luck on your move
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 3:20 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• What kind of things is she into? How will you be traveling on your move-- will you fly or will you drive? If you are driving maybe you could make up an "activity box" and give that to her. Put in it little things that will keep her entertained and occupied during the drive (like small toys, color book/crayons..). My sons liked their nintendo DS- they had a few kid-friendly games for it and quite a few of the cartoon network videos they watched... worked out great on car trips. Another idea- get her a small toy now for her birthday, and after the move buy something bigger once you are settled (like maybe a bike with training wheels or a playhouse for the new yard, a swingset or sand box...).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:21 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Depends on her age. My dd loves polly pockets and she has travel sized tins for her stuff so when we go on long trips she can pack her stuff up and play with it. Maybe consider small toys like that. Or an IOW. You can buy her a small gift and tell her she can choose something for her new bedroom as soon as you get there as her big present.

Answer by gemgem at 3:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• My DD LOVES bracelets. They have beautiful ones at ittybeadycreations.com. You can personalize it with her name. My DD wears her constantly.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:30 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I like the recordable stoyrbooks. We have three of them in our house. One of them DH read for the boys and the other two are from my parents. But, you could also get her a present that she could use to be entertained on your trip when you move. My older DS is almost 4 and he has a Mobigo. They have tons of different games for different ages and they are all teaching games. It keeps him entertained. We bought it before we flew from TN to Seattle. Maybe something like that?
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 5, 2011