Is it too late to plant seeds?

would they grow and be ready in time for Fall?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 3:13 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Home & Garden

• It depends on what it is you want to plant...?
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 3:16 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Yea it depends. I live in a warn high humidity area and planted seeds on a monday and no joke by friday they were sprouted lol. It depends what youre planting too. I have tons to put into the garden myself mostly eggplant, peppermind, cucmber, tomato etc. Also go to Lowes and walmart. You can pick up seedlings already ready to go into the ground for cheap. Thats how I do my tomatoes. I paid 50 cents per plant.

Answer by gemgem at 3:18 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• My MIL just planted bell pepper and tomato plants, she plants them about this time every year
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:19 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• my son wants to plant carrots, cucumbers, radishes and green peppers
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 3:19 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Go to walmart. Seriously. You can get all those plants and spend less then $20 and put them into a garden. Sometimes they already are sprouting too.

Answer by gemgem at 3:24 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• my son wants to plant seeds and that is all we can afford to purchase
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• where are you?

If in the south, it may be too late. Once this hot, it will kill the plant before it can establish good root structure. The cool spring is ideal for growing baby plants, because the sun will nt burn them while the roots are working so hard to grow.

If you are up north, you may have a chance. I would keep them watered daily & not leave them i direct sunlight for more than 4 hours. You can give it a try, have done it before with pumpkins, squash & some other hardy vegetables.

Your best bet is to buy the plants already grown at your garden center, put them in large pots & water them daily. This way, if they begin to burn from the heat....you can move them into shadier location until they are better established to tolerate the heat. Baby plants do not tolerate heat too well.....

If you have to do seeds, then plant them indoors first & let them grow a but before throwing them in a container outside.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:37 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I don't know about the bell peppers but if you hurry you should still have time for carrots, my seed package says 70-80 days to maturity, the radishes are only 45 days and the cucumbers can take anywhere from 55 days to 70 depending on variety. Zucchinni is fun to grow with kids, it grows fast and if you wanted to you can grow gigantic sized fruit. Have fun
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 3:56 PM on Jun. 5, 2011