Have you had any luck getting rid of ant hills?

Western Carolina area

shefree

Asked by shefree at 3:19 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Salt works! Plain table salt, pour generously around the mound, I did this one evening and the next morning the ants were gone.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:54 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Use over and out, broadcast it though or they will just pick up and move a few feet over.
    and wet it in after spreading or it won't work properly and they will come back. it lasts a year.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 3:25 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I don't have an answer for you, but Im having the same problem with fire ants. Heres a bump for ya!

Also KellyGirl can you buy over and out at local stores, walmart, target etc..?
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 3:31 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• i hear of you pour dry grits in & around the ant hill, that it will kill them. Apparently, they eat it & it blows up their stomachs.

You could do that, or go to your hardware store where you can get some kind of poison.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:32 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• use dry grits or corn meal. Just spread it throughout the area when its dry out side and they should be gone in a day or so.
    My_3_Babies

Answer by My_3_Babies at 3:51 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• You can buy "Over and Out" fire ant killer at Lowe's.....let me check walmart , target etc.....I know how frustrating having fire ants ARE!!! The stings hurt.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 6:43 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• The Truth About Grits...http://www.pestproducts.com/grits.htm
    Grits are made from CORN....ants love corn. It does not kill them. It might discourage them to move their mound due to the aggrevation but, they will just move over nearby. If there was a safe, home remedy...I would use it. There isn't so far so and we've spent alot of money buying things that didn't work until I purchased "Over and Out". Warmart, Target do not carry it. They sell RAID or Bayer fire ant dust (worthless). Lowes, Home Depot carry bags or sprinkle bottles of "Over and Out". Although...I have a feeling since this stuff works, it will soon be outlawed for some reason or other. Happens every time. Lol. Good Luck with those aggrevating little critters!!!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 7:05 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I haven't tried it but I was looking for an answer on this too I read to use detergent soap or even dishwashing soap and add water on top of it yes some ants survive in water but the soap WILL hold them down and drown ;) GL to us both...lol
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• GRITS ITS THE BEST WAY TO GET RID OF EM WORKS EVERY TIME
    CandelariaMama

Answer by CandelariaMama at 4:02 PM on Jun. 5, 2011