How do you get a soon to be 3 year old to stop screaming

my son will be 3 on july the 31st and his screaming is getting to me he dose this really high pitched screaming . he has a few dif ones he has one he has when he over existed and one he dose when he angry. the screaming is really getting to me as every time he wants something he jst screams and hit his head on the wall he gets told no and times out but the screaming just gets worse he can scream for up to an hour . just now he screaming for snack but its bed time so he started throwing stuff so i put him in time out and now he just screaming as load as he can it sounds liek he being murdered . i just don't know how to stop the screaming . he dose it everywhere in the shops in nursery at friends houses and when I'm out i can see all the  mum's looking at me as he big for his age he look closer to 4.

my son not a good talker i should tell you that as i know thats part of the problem he also hyper active . but i think its all so cause the screaming go right threw me

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Perhaps if you ignore his "requests" when he screams. I know that will be hard to do, but if he doesn't get what he wants he won't be "rewarded" for screaming he may try to communicate. Or if he's screaming say "milk" or whatever he's requesting, maybe he will try to mimic you. Also, when he's calm, teach him the words. If he's unable to speak then work with sign language. You can look it up online and use the ones you need, you don't have to teach him the whole language! lol but once you give him a better way to communicate it should cut back on the screaming.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• Try time outs and/or taking his snakes away that day if he continues
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• taken stuff away out not work as he hyper active and hardly eats we already working with nursery to work out if there something wrong with him not eating more than a hand full of stuff all day we do time out but I'm not shore how good his understand is he clever at working things out but when it comes to beings till eg sittin he just cant do it he jumps of everything no matter how much he gets hurt 5 min later he back doing it again  . but we can cope with the hyper activeness its the screaming i cant

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Have you talked to the doctor about ADHD?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:56 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• kinda its on the card as i have hereditary dyslexia and adhd is a none interlinked condition . also my hubby brothers got adhd  and i'm shore my bro got undiagnosed adhd so we always new there was a risk but in the uk they wont really look at it till your kids 5 . normally you start nursery at 3 think its like pre school in the us

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• cause of his hypreness he got started at 2 and a half he also been having 2 lunches a week there to try and find out if his eating thing is a behavioral problems or not so far nursery having no luck at getting him to eat more than a bit to . they have problem with his safety boundary to and he screams there but its not as notable there cause he just get to mostly do what he wants .but everything involves catching him and he is fast the nursery staff say it takes 2 of them just to catch him to change his nappy . he jumps of stuff and runs into wall when he over existed and dose not put his han
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I don't have any children (yet), so I personally haven't run into that sort of a problem. But my mom says my brother and I were never ones to scream, and I remember what she did to make it so it never happened.

Teach him what "dangerous" situations might be. Like if a stranger approaches him, or he is hurt. Then teach him that screaming means that you are in danger and that we do not scream unless something bad is happening to us.
    itsmommalori

Answer by itsmommalori at 4:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• i would love to but we cant even get him to stop running on roads :(
    take today he was jumping of the top of the sofa and tehre was toys on the floor he landed on tehm and screamed in pain and has a bruse on his leg from landing on a toy car , less than to min later he did it again then again you think he learn but nope
    but he not slow as he cn unlock door and baby gates and work dvd player and tv and xbox ect
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• In the US, I'd suggest an evaluation by Early Intervention. I'm not sure if they have an equivalent in the UK. IMHO, he may have an autism spectrum disorder. See if you can get him an evaluation for high functioning autism. It co-occurs with speech delays and the other behavioral issues you are having.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 5:42 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• na i dont think he got any kind of autism at all
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:45 PM on Jun. 5, 2011