How can I get my 10 year old son with ADHD to finsh the last 5 days of school and go back next year?

I know summer is about to start, But 4th grade this year for my son has been a major struggle. He was suspened 2 times this year. Had many phone calls home and I feel his teacher put a lable on him with other student as a problem. He is a very sweet child. Has some emotional issues and anger issues. He has been pick on this whole year. We have 5 days of school left and he does not want to finish the last 5 day and he does not want to go back to school ever. He will be starting special Ed next year for 5th grade. I as his mother am very concered and frustrated and don't know how to help him.

chrissyschwalen

Asked by chrissyschwalen at 4:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Bring him back to the doctor and get better medication. And tell him he will go to school, like it or not. Unless you want to homeschool him.

Answer by louise2 at 4:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Or go the the school and talk to the teacher and principle and see if something can be done .

Answer by louise2 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Is he on medication? Maybe it should be evaluated? are the 5 days. important for anything? are they all early realease or anyhting liek that? can he miss them? if so just let him if it's that bad and maybe by the time summer is over he will be over his I don;t want to go to school issue
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Sounds like he needs a change of medication. The summer is the best time to do it. We use Vyvanse and it has made a huge improvement for my son, both socially and in grades. Talk to the principal, maybe he can miss the last few days. Explain it to her.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:43 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• First contact the school and see what they can offer to help these last days go smoother for him. Second if he is on meds consider getting the doses or the meds changed. There is no once size fits all drug for adhd. Third next year with an IEP will be much better! he will have more help and assistance his teachers will be more understanding and he will get less frustrated.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:56 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• WHo diagnosed him ADHD. You say he is getting picked on... what for? Are you sure there isn't more to this than ADHD? The school tried to label my son ADHD at 8 but hen at 9 he was diagnosed as Asperger's by an actual psychologist the diagnosis fit better. I never felt he had ADHD alone. There was so many other things. Like how he had no friends, His hand writing was awful, He knew so many things but the grades were not showing it, He seemed like a loner, He had tantrums that lasted for 15 min to a hour over seemingly minor things.. The list goes on! While a lot of it did sound like adhd not all of it was explained until I took him to the psychologist outside of the school and peds office.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for all the great responses . I have thought about a med increase also. I think I will check into that. He was diagnosed by this DR and a psychologist for the ADHD. Not sure if all the days are very important . He has a skating field trip on Tuesday.I meet with the school again on Monday morning so it might be a good Idea to ask them.
    chrissyschwalen

Comment by chrissyschwalen (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I am a teacher and I agree you should make an appt with the principal. The first step is to make sure the principal knows that you are willing to do what it takes to make next year more successful for your child. See what is recommended. make sure that the teacher your child has the qualities that your special needs child needs. Meet with teacher and come up with a positive discipline plan. You won't be able to tell your child that next year will be better (why would he want to return unless it will be better?) unless you've done these things because your child won't believe you. find a way for the teacher to get to know your child as an individual-it will make a big difference. it doesn't sound like the medicine is working very well. Strattera is a non-stimulant that helps with mood issues that my 11 year old has. we also have him see a psychologist occassionally as well to talk through the anger issues. Dont forget to pray
    keykeyb

Answer by keykeyb at 5:21 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I wouldn't want to go either if it meant that I would be teased. Talk to the school about keeping him home.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• He needs to continue going to school and stop using his ADHD as a crutch. I have a feeling there is more to the diagnosis than ADHD. Set up an appointment with his doctor or psychologist and have him reevaluated.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 5, 2011