How did you potty train your SON?

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• I put him in underwear and said going potty is not optional.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:47 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Dh would take ds to the bathroom with him before we started potty training and I think that may have helped him want to start. Then it was just a matter of taking him consistantly. He was in underware by his 2nd b-day. He did regress at one point and start to have accidents when he had been potty trained for a few months. I didn't put him back in diapers though, just went back to going to the potty every 15-20 mins until he showed me signs that he could recognise he had to go on his own again.
    Good luck!
    lowencope lol
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• two things: stopped the diapers (I actually did naked potty training as much as pos.) and make sure that I took him during "typical" times -- just woke up, a bit after he drank etc.
    Oh and rewards when he did it. (for us we just made up a song and I'd sing and dance if he went in the potty)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 5:16 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• One trained with pull-ups; he treated them like underwear. The other trained on his own for superhero underwear. My twins were a lot easier to train than their big sister who's autistic. She could tell when she had accidents.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• One word: persistence! My son would REFUSE to use the potty. I tried EVERYTHING! When we put him in pre-K, they told he out right "you potty in the toilet or you do not come to school". That did it, so I am guessing.. offer something to him that he really really wants, and if he potty's like a big boy he can have that item or whatever.
    LAKirby7

Answer by LAKirby7 at 5:41 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• we ran out of diapers one morning and i didnt realize....he's been in undies since with pull ups at night....doing peeps was fun for him because he played sink the cheerios and we gave him a lollipop for poops....he's 2.5 now and is in pull ups overnight only
    nocode5

Answer by nocode5 at 11:19 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• With my 3 year old, I started at 2 lol. He wasn't trained at 3 1/2. I could tell you everything I tried and didn't work, but I'll spare you lol. With my 3 year old, he really wanted to spend the night with my parents with his big brother. So we told him if he pottied and pooped in the commode he could stay. That got us #1 in the potty a good bit. I then found some Toy Story 3 stickers (which he loved!) And I told him he could have one EVERY TIME he went to the potty. Day one, he was going # 1 without accident. By day 3 he was going #1 and #2 consistently! He has had a few night time accidents, but it's few and far between! And he got his overnight visit, and then he didn't want to stay any more lol. He achieved his goal. GL
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2011