Mandatory reporters

Where I live everyone is obligated to report child abuse if they witness it. If you fail to do so you could get into trouble with the law later if the child is hurt or killed and it is proven you were a witness to abuse and never contacted cps or the authorities. That being said......

We all have different views of what is appropriate punishment of a child. If for instance someone who spanks is spanking their child in the middle of the grocery store and someone who does not spank sees this and reports the parent are they wrong? At the same time if they do not report it because they believe spanking is alright and later the child dies at the hands of the parent who seems to have just been spanking should they face charges?

I am just curious how moms out there think and what rises to the level of what you might report if you were to see abuse. And what constitutes abuse? Every state is different. I know in my state you cannot strike your child on the face, legs, arms, use anything to strike the child with, cannot yell, belittle, threaten, and really do much of anything or it can be considered child abuse. So what was lead you to report someone for child abuse you did not know. And would you tell them? Would you say I am a mandated a reporter and I must report you so they would know out of courtesy? Or just report them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• If the person is violent or angry it may be dangerous for you to tell them, so I would advise against it. If you are a mandated reporter you must report but spanking in public while wrong may not be considered abusive by your local child protective services. It never hurts to call them up and ask. How are you going to report this person if you don't know them or their name? Just curious.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 5:01 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• That is easy enough in public locations since there are cameras everywhere including parking lots. now days. You just get their description, photo with a cell phone, contact security, and have them pull video from the store and parking lot which generally gives a license plate number. I have seen stories like this on the news.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I would not interfere except in cases of extreme violence . It can lead to all sorts of complications and could even become very nasty - for you . These laws may be passed with good intentions but without due thought for process and enforcemant .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 6:05 PM on Jun. 5, 2011