How do u cook dried beans? Help!

Every recipe I find for beans calls for a ton of water. When I make the beans in a crockpot I end up with bean soup, not just beans the way I want them.

I made beans today and I guessed. I used 4 cups dried beans and 8 cups water. I still ended up with bean soup and the spices I put in it are now diluted because of it.

How can I make a bean dish that is Not soup. What is the right amount of water and how do I cook them so they come out right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Typically you combine the beans and water and let set overnight then strain the beans and use in the recipe the next day.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• depending on the kind of bean are you soaking them over night? You soak them drain them then cook them for best results.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:07 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• You have to soak them in plain water,drain,and then add the spices

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:07 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I dont use a recipe. My grandma used to make Pinto beans and homemade tortillas for us growing up so I learned from her. I just get the pinto beans and soak them over night in a sealed container. Then I put them in a dutch over and fill it just over the beans and get it to boil then turn down to wear it is simmering. I add ham, onions or whatever to it, salt etc. I check on it every so often because they do soak up water alot. I add more water as I go until I get it to the consistency I like it. I dont use a crock pot because you dont tend to get the right amount of water in those.

Answer by gemgem at 5:07 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Waht melbornj said ..you soak them overnight in water to hydrate them.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I did the quick soak method like it said on the bag of beans. You bring the beans to a rapid boil for 2 minutes then remove from the heat and let them set for 1 hour. Then I put them in the crockpot too cook them.

Maybe next time should soak them overnight instead, maybe they'll come out better. I guess I really need to cook them on the stove too.
    Wish the crockpot worked, it seemed so easy. (I guess too easy, lol)

Now to figure out what to do with my "bean soup" :-)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• For your bean soup, why don't you go ahead and drain off most of the water and then re-add what spices you want. Be sure that the beans are cooked enough before you add salt.

When I make dried beans I let them sit overnight in a pot of water, then drain, then bring to a boil, then drain, repeat, and then let them boil in water until they are soft, then drain again. What all of this draining does is to help get rid of some of the gas-producing chemical that is in them. Then when they are soft you can go ahead and put them in your crockpot and cook whatever recipe you want.

Answer by Bmat at 5:24 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I forgot to say that after the draining you cover the beans with water and bring to a boil, then when they are done cooking drain off that last water, and add your ingredients for your recipe.

Answer by Bmat at 5:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Did you drain the water you let them soak in? I've done the quick soak method with black beans and they were perfect for the recipe after I drained them.

I find that many things I cook in the crockpot come out extremely soft.  DD hates the texture of anything I cook in one.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 5:28 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• we could never get dry beans to work until we tried the crock pot. Put the beans in the crock pot with the water and turn it on low...do this at night and leave till morning...check,if not quite done let cook until they are.then you can drain (if you want to...we usually don't)and add your spices etc.... leave on low if not eating for awhile...or high if you are eating in 3-4 hours. Stir on occassion. Perfect beans every time! : )
    cjsix

Answer by cjsix at 5:33 PM on Jun. 5, 2011