I go through times where I don't really like my pets.

I don't abuse them I just don't like them and get really annoyed with them. We got a dog who is a lovely dog. We got her when my kids were 3 and almost 2. Then I got pregnant and she was great with the baby, really she is an awesome dog. My older kids who had been asking since before we got the dog if they could have a cat finally got their kittens. I had heard that if you get kittens in pairs they won't drive you insane because they can play together. So we got 2 kittens and all was fine till the one had to be put down at 5 months because it was very sick. We got another kitten. Then I had another baby (I was on birth control) and I'm so very annoyed that they seem to have fleas again. Argh!!!! Between everything else I have to do I'm really annoyed to be sweeping litter (one of these cat's is a little thrower!!), vacuming hair (they are brushed but apparently they should be brushed every day!) and being the one to put the dog out (she won't go out for dh) I'm just arghhhhhhh.

My dog, Samali, is a sweet girl and my 3 yo loves her to pieces!! The cats, Moses and Pretzel are sweet too, crazy at times but sweet too. My kids love when they sleep with them.
I knew the responsibility of having pet's and accept it and I'm taking care of these animals but sometimes it's just too much! Dh came from a home where he had every pet he wanted and a ton of them. I can't do it so I've put my foot down about the hampsters, bunnies, birds and fish the kids and dh want.
I would appreciate knowing I'm not the only one who feels overwhelmed and sometimes doesn't enjoy her pet's.
I realize that posting this in pets will likely get me the comments like, you shouldn't own pet's or I'm an awful person. But I'm not just frustrated. Know that in my frustration my pet's are still cared for, fed, walked and so on. They just don't get the affection from me that I would normally give them.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Pets

• I'm having a hard time bonding with my new husband's dogs, they are Beagles and totally cute but they get so excited. We have 4 cats and I would die without them.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 5:43 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• we have a new puppy and i love her so much but do get frustrated b/c i'm the only one who will do anything with her and the other 3 dogs and the cat....oh and as of today the 2 toads
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• We adopted a kitten from the on post shelter and he was doing fine until my dh decided it would be a great idea to get my oldest (who has adhd and odd) a dog to help teach him responsibility. Then he left for deployment and i was stuck cleaning up after a puppy and a kitten. (my son only lasted a week with the dog) Needless to say after a horrendous time trying to potty train a dog and keep up with poop/pee duty and take care of my four children this has not been fun!!! So i definitely feel your pain!!
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 5:59 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I feel your pain. I've got one of my three cats that if he gets any sicker we're going to have to give him away. Two weeks ago he was hospitalized with crystals, two days ago we had to take him back because he was spraying all over the house. Now we have a, roughly, $1,000 vet bill we can't pay and the vet office has told us not to bring him back until we've paid in full.

He's one of the most loving cats I've ever had, but right now I just don't trust him.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:24 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• It is tough when you have a young family. When one of them goes- don't replace it!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:10 PM on Jun. 8, 2011

• I don't think any are going anywhere soon. Except for hodini (moses the cat) who escapes our house.
    AmandaH321

Comment by AmandaH321 (original poster) at 8:35 PM on Jun. 8, 2011