How do i make the negative voices from the past stop?

I can hear snippets of conversations from my past like a bad song that gets stuck in my head... people who told me I wasn't good enough... It still makes me feel like a loser after all these years.

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 5:51 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• Words can hurt and yes, they do stick with us years later.
    You are NOT a loser. Anyone who told you that simply felt low about themselves to make themselves feel better.
    Satan is the father of lies and he wants nothing more than to pull you down to his level. Don't listen.
    You are made in God's image and He loves you. He's got an incredible plan for your life. I hope you find encouragement from loving friends on cafemom.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 7:39 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Every time you hear a negative thought, speak a positive one out loud to yourself. Remind yourself of your accomplishments out loud so that your ears can hear them. It works!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• you have to believe in yourself and get past all that
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 5:53 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• My therapist told me to (in my head) imagine burying that thought in an imaginary backyard with a shovel. Throw dirt on it and stomp on it. If it tries to grow, kill it with some spray or an axe. Crazy, but it works.
    Anonymous

• hugsfeel better

mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 5:56 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• self-improvement books..I like Joel Osteen. positive people in your life who build you up not bring you down. something I did was to wear a silly band or rubberband and when a negative thought came into my head, I snapped the band and replaced the negative thought with a positive one!! I would also say to myself, "NO I DO NOT ACCEPT THAT" Good Luck!! Friend me if you like...
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 5:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• You have to replace the negative voices with positive ones. Or talk back to them. For instance, if the voices, say you are worthless, then you say back to them, No, I am not. I am smart, talented, pretty, loved, worthwhile, etc. Fill your brain with all the positive images you can. Smile when you say the positive words. It will work but you have to retrain the neural pathways of your brain.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 6:00 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• take a dry eraser maker and put something positive about your self opposite of what the jerk faces told you where you look at it everyday and hopefully that will help you can friend me up if you like :) I will do my best to be your friend =)
    djavongirl

Answer by djavongirl at 6:46 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• When some one tells me I'm not good enough it makes me try harder. I thank them for pissing me off. It's so motivating! I think it's all in your attitude. Stand up foryourself and fight back. Not literally though. Prove those idiots wrong. You get what you give in life. If you have a positive vibe, positive things happen for you. The human spirit is indomitable! The only 'real'' gauranteed freedom in life is your choice of attitude. Choose to see the glass half full.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 6:49 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Maybe you need to get to a mental health professional for meds if you are hearing voices.
    Anonymous