Good idea/bad idea?

I'm thinking about getting my daughter a fish for her 2nd birthday. Every time we visit a pet store she loves watching the fish. Her favorite place to go is the Aquarium. Fish was one of the first words she could say clearly.

It's not like she's going to be responsible for taking care of it but is this still asking for a disaster?

Also if we d go ahead and get her a fish, should we get 2 to keep each other company or are they ok as loners? Got any suggestions for types of fish?

Thanks!

Xynyth

Asked by Xynyth at 7:52 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We had a beta fish. You can only have 1 in the tank, unless you get a male and a female (but then you get lots of them, and have to separate them and it's a big hassle). The males have very pretty colors, and are really cool to watch. My only real advice would be to put the tank up where she can't reach it, with no cords or anything hanging down that she can get, so she can't pull the tank down and either hurt herself or spill it everywhere.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:09 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Fish are always a good idea but if you want to do this then you will need to invest in it. Get a decent size tank, and make sure you have all the supplies like rocks, filter etc. The fish are healthier with the whole system. You also will need atleast two fish anyway. Get atleast one fish that she will like and an algae eater. The algae eater will help keep the tank clean. As for what kind of fish? My dh had an Oscar, a Shark and an Algae eater when I met him and in a huge tank and they grew quite large. Oscars do bite but if you plan to not allow her to stick in her hands in it then itll be fine and she can also when they get big watch them eat little fish.

Answer by gemgem at 8:02 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Lol, I was thinking goldfish or guppy ha ha. Thanks. I saw a cute little sesame street mini aquarium that came with everything including food.

I forgot about algae eaters. When I was little we had a tank of fish and a carnivorous algae eater. Every so often a fish would be missing from our tank and he just got bigger and bigger. It got to the point where that's all it did was eat the fish and had gotten HUGE so we took it and dumped it in a lake. We joke it's the German Nessie now :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:27 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• my sons first pet were fish--he had 3 little ones and he just thought it was amazing...he was 1 year old at the time.....
    poobear5

Answer by poobear5 at 8:54 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• My kiddo's grandma gave us an aquarium and five big goldfish a few months ago ( he'll be 2 in Jan) . He loves it. They get fed at the same time. It's cool.
    CM2TX08

Answer by CM2TX08 at 8:57 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• That is a cute idea ...my daughter is 16 months and my mother wants to buy her a fish for Christmas. It's one of her only words and she gets really excited anytime she sees "fishies"
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 9:16 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• It's a great idea. I've had a fish tank in my daughter's room since she was about a year. She knows that when the fish are sleeping or napping, she has to too. She's pretty good about playing quietly until "fishy morning".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Thanks so much ladies! Now I feel really good about getting her a fish for her b-day! I appreciate the feedback!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 12:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2008