car seat

my lil girl is 6months and weighs 20 pounds,we drive a mini van,would it be ok to get a car seat facing forward?she has almost out grown her carseat now,we wouldnt do it til after christmas though?

angelairelan

Asked by angelairelan at 8:10 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ok witout jumping on your back like alot of other anwers have... You can get a carseat that faces forward and backwards.. its one of the big ones that she would be transitioning into anyway... But leave her rear facing because even though she is 20lbs she is only 6moonths old, which probably means she isnt as active or tall as a one year old. As long as her feet are not kicking the back of the seat when she is rear facing, then she should still be rear facing. =]
    SinkorSwim913

Answer by SinkorSwim913 at 9:14 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Car seats for infants are placed facing the rear because in a head-on collision the muscles of the neck of an infant are unable to adequately support the head as it violently lurches forward. If the infant were facing forward during a head-on collision, significant head and neck injury could occur even though the baby remained adequately seated in the car seat. These muscles become strong enough at about one year of age. Therefore, to turn the car seat around, the child ought to have had her first birthday. http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/bsafety/0,,3q6v,00.html

Answer by gemgem at 8:13 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Absolutely not! Aside from it being illegal, the legal minimum is 20 lbs AND 1 year of age, it is completely unsafe. Like the PP said, the injuries that could result would be life threatening. Please, PLEASE wait until she's at LEAST a year old!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:17 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Nope it's NOT ok... it's not safe or legal. She needs a convertible carseat if she has outgrown her infant one.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:42 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• In Indiana there is no law about rearfacing. However, it is safest if your child remains rearfacing till they are 1.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:49 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Wow, they really have no law about it? I had no idea. It's still terribly unsafe though.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:56 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• No. It is unsafe. It's best to keep your child RF to the limit of their convertible seat (usually 30 or 35 lbs) but the minimum is 20 lbs and 12 mos of age. Read the seat manual.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:11 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I live in Indiana too and looked everywhere for the law about rear-facing when I was trying to make up my mind about turning my son around and couldn't find anything. It is more safe to have her rear-facing though. If she's outgrown her infant carrier just get a convertible car seat that you can have both rear and front facing. We got my son the Evenflo Triumph and he's still rear-facing . He'll be 1 in 3 days. If you do turn her around and have a head on wreck it could internally dicapitate her. Her skull could be seperated from her spine.

bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 9:11 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• No! She is safest rear facing a year and beyond ...my daughter was 20 lbs before she was a year and for my baby shower I recieved a carseat but it was only forward facing ...I still didn't use it bc it's NOT safe ...so I went out a bought a car seat that is rear facing. She is 16 months and still rear facing ...please do what is safest for your child ...not what is easier for you!! xoxo
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 9:14 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Even if there is no law, most carseat manuals state that it should not be used FF for a child under 1 and 20 lbs, and states that DON'T have specific car seat laws have proper usage laws, stating that you must use the seat according to the manufacturers instructions. Therefore, if you don't follow the manual, you most likely are still breaking the law.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:18 AM on Dec. 10, 2008