6 yr.old has tummy aches all the time, how to know if she is bluffing?

She is 6 her tummy seems to hurt in the morning before school (which she doesnt have a problem going) during dinner, in the middle of the night and sometimes just because ....I believe her but all the time, Im not quite convinced of .She has just had a check up and nothing seems to be wrong.

Rachel311

Asked by Rachel311 at 8:39 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Funny that you ask this because I am going through this with my almost 6 year old daughter right now. I had the feeling that she was saying it because she wanted some extra attention from me. She's a huge mommy's girl, so I could never give her enough attention, she would stay home with me every single minute of the day if she could. She has no problems at school though. Well one of her little buddy's at school had an emergency appendectomy so I used that as a reason to bring up belly aches. I told her sometimes they are very serious and sometimes your belly might hurt because you miss mommy and that I need for her to tell me EXACTLY why her belly hurts so that I know. She looked all sheepish and said, "Usually my belly hurts because I miss you mommy". That's what I thought! Since we have had the conversation (a few days ago) she has pretty much stopped saying her belly hurts.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:47 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Does she have brothers and sisters? Could it be that's when she gets extremly undivided attention? Maybe there's somethign serious going on.. you never know. Take her to a gastrointerologist ( a tummy doctor) and have an ultrasound done. That's how they found my kidney stones and sent me to a urologist. It wasnt my tummy at all but it hurt there, ya know?
    CM2TX08

Answer by CM2TX08 at 8:48 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• At that age I did have stomach aches all the time. My mother took me to the DR and they couldn't find anything wrong. I still get them today and have gone to several Dr's and still can't find out what is wrong. Maybe just have her checked out to be on the safe side.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• well when my son says he has a tummy ache i say ok because he does have a grumbling appendix saying that he does play on it occasionally i know if he is bluffing by saying we are having his favourite for dinner if he is bluffing he will eat it it's that simple.
    debbiee

Answer by debbiee at 10:48 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• will it hard to answer that one cause my son complains of the same thing all the time so i would go to the doctor they don't full with something like that.
    mamaliz4

Answer by mamaliz4 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Thank you for all your answers they all make perfectly good sense to me ,all from taking her to the doctors which we have already done ....they cant find a thing wrong with her .....to giving her more attention .She is the middle child *sighs* perhaps that is the problem she needs more attention and i of course will give it to her . But i will be sure that it is positive attention and not negative.

Rachel311

Answer by Rachel311 at 2:25 PM on Dec. 10, 2008