Would the police even do anything about it?

There is a car in my neighborhood that drives way too fast down our street. It's a narrow, winding street on a hill and the speed limit is 15. But this teenager goes petal to the metal and I'm afraid they're going to run over someone. There are a lot of kids on our street who walk to and from school and to each other's houses to play and there are not any sidewalks. I used to let my daughter walk 2 houses down to her friend's house but I don't let her walk alone now with this maniac tearing around.

If I call the police will they do anything about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• its worth a try. take down the plates or send an officer to the parent's house. Reckless driving is an offense. good luck!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• It is worth a try, especially if you can provide a specific time the teen often comes through.

This was a persistent problem in my neighborhood when I was younger. The police did come out a few times, and then they installed speed bumps. That made a huge difference. If it is a neighborhood wide concern, even if your locality can't/won't add speed bumps, you might be able to get a neighborhood collection or HOA to put one in.

Of course since this is one specific driver that is a teenager, try going to his/her parent. Let me tell you, if someone had come to my parents - face-to-face neighbor conversation or even a simple note - my punishment would have been much harsher than if it was "just" a police notice.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:02 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• If it is a private subdivision then police may not be able to do much but I would give it a try. Reckless driving is very dangerous. If nothing else you can request extra patrols in your area.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 9:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

tspillane

• i agree with bloomsr you should at least try and if you get enough people complaining about it they will set up a speed trap. good luck
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 9:10 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• All you can do is call the police and report it. Make sure you have a description of the vehicle and the license plate number. In my parent's subdivision, we called the police about cars using the road as a raceway. We had young kids in the neighborhood and no sidewalks. We ended up petitioning the village to place stop signs at 2 points on the road. It didn't stop all the idiots from using the road as a speedway but it sure slowed them down. 3 of the neighbors were police officers and they started parking their squads in their driveways.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• If it happens frequently you can ask the police to monitor the problem, they may make more frequent patrols in the area or even station a patrol car for a period of time.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 10:19 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• i deff would call
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 10:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I would patition the neighborhood for the city to put up slow children at play signs.
    And ask the police to monitor this road. Get his license plates.
    My ex once refused to use booster seats when he took our kids on his visits. The police went and visited with him about child saftety in vehicals.
    Its worth a try.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 11:11 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Thanks. I'll call.

There are two children at play signs on our street, one at the bottom of the hill and one across from our driveway. Apparently it must have been a problem in the past too since someone got those signs put up.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:42 AM on Jun. 6, 2011