While in Surgery did the doctor let you hold an locket or something meanful?

I know some people carry amulets to bring good fortune. Would a surgeon let you carry one in surgery due to your beliefs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have never had that type of request before sending my pts to surgery but I can tell you that we remove all jewelry, hair pins, teeth, hearing aids etc before they are wheeled down.. Ask the surgeon, he may let you but be prepared for a no.. It is a safety issue, sterility issue and a liability.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Never asked. I was told to wear NO jewlery, nailpolish or contacts. I am not even sure what they did with my glasses. My son was able to take his stuffed wolf into the operating room where, once he was asleep, the animal was taken away until after surgery was over. When my son woke up, his wolf had an IV and oxygen mask too.

I don't see someone being allowed to have something with them in surgery, the items aren't sterile and could cause an infection.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:33 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• No, they make you take everything off in the OR. It has to be very very sterile in there to keep you safe from contamination.
    LAKirby7

Answer by LAKirby7 at 9:39 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• No jewelry is aloud to be worn during surgery.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:50 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• As long as there is not metal. I had a cord rosary in my right hand recently when I went into surgery. Because it was made of cord and had no metal in it, I was allowed to keep it.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:48 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• probably not
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:21 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• i thought they usually made you talk off all jewelry/metals, etc. idk, not too sure about that, though.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• It would really depend on what kind of surgery it was, and what kind of token it was. But it never hurts to ask!
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:25 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Sorry midnightmoma. Didn't mean to give you a down vote. Wish there was an undo on this!

I agree. I was told before the surgeries I've had to remove everything.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:28 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Thanks! I am doing a paper on culture beliefs and one of my scenarios is that a lady wants to carry her amulet into surgery. This amulet is suppose keep her from teleporting. So I am trying to see if and surgeon gives special privileges due to religious backgrounds.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Jun. 5, 2011