What Happens at my first OB appointment

I mean what happens after the visit where you tell them your family medical history?

Hopeful44

Asked by Hopeful44 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• At my first appointment, I was 7 weeks pregnant, and they did an ultrasound and drew blood, along with the other usual stuff like weighing me, taking my blood pressure, and having me give a urine sample. If you aren't at least 7 weeks along, they I don't think they'll do an ultrasound.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 10:13 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Sometimes they do a internal u.s depending on how far along you are they always order blood work and they ask if you have any questions and get you medical background information.
    3mclark

Answer by 3mclark at 10:17 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I think it depends on your doctor. I just went to my first appointment and they just weighed me, took a urine sample, asked questions, and drew blood. I have the ultrasound set for 2 more weeks. On my other 2 children this is how my first appointments went. Good luck!
    rbade

Answer by rbade at 10:27 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• they'll do a pap if you're due, take blood, go over all the reading material (what to eat, what not to do, ect), and if you're lucky you will hear the heartbeat or get an ultrasound.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:07 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Have you already found a care provider?

After you interview and choose (can be a midwife or OB), then the initial appointment and you can ask how things are generally done in that practice. You'll likely return once/month for the first two trimesters.

You will probably check urine and blood pressure, eventually check fetal heart tones and palpate...
    But things can vary depending on who you hire and what you consent to.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:39 AM on Jun. 6, 2011