Military Mom's, Question About R&R

My soldier is deployed in Iraq and was told that if he gets R&R it will be around July 1st. When do you think they will tell him for sure if he has R&R? I'm trying to make plans to be in Texas when he gets there to see his mom, and I don't know if he'll get a week or two notice, or be told "You're leaving tomorrow".

Syntalarra

Asked by Syntalarra at 10:13 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• My sister is in Iraq as well; and will have RR in early July as well. She ALREADY knows the exact dates!! She's army.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• They can't know EXACT dates because things can/most of the time change. He should know a tentative date by the middle of June. He could get stuck at ANY airport waiting on a flight. R&R doesn't start until they get to the home airport and it is 14-16 days. They probably won't give you exact dates because of security reasons, some people just have big yappers.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:27 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• My son wasn't able to give me an exact date either. Depends on when his relief gets there, how long he's in Kurdistan before they head home and there's a 1-3 day briefing when they get back to base to see how their handling the war. Lots to do and they just want to come home! Hope your soldier makes it home for the 4th! That will make for an awesome celebration!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:17 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• My brother was in Iraq, and he was able to narrow it down to "May or June" in March. In April he was told it would be May. In may he was told it would be between the 2nd & 14th. On the 5th I got an e-mail that he would be on his way out on the 7th. On the 8th he called from the East Coast and said he'd be "home" sometime late that aftenoon or evening, depending what flight they put him on. So even up til almost the last minute he didn't know for sure what day he'd be headed home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• They do know the exact date he is leaving. It takes a few days to get back depends on flights. Thats what is uncertain. They have the schedule done way ahead of time to ensure an appropriate schedule for everyone to get r&r. My husband is deployed also right now, and his date is in sept. I hope you guys have fun! I would plan things for halfway through his time so you dont get yourself into trouble with reservations and such.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 2:41 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• The only thing we are planning is to fly me to where he's going. I just wanted to know how much time we will have to plan that.
    Syntalarra

Comment by Syntalarra (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2011