What age is appropriate for a cell phone?

my daughter is in the 6th grade and wants a phone. i got my first phone at age 18. i just dont see the need for it. She gets on the bus, goes to school, then comes home. i think it is crazy when i hear that kids as young as 7 have cell phones.

alboston

Asked by alboston at 10:48 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• I was thinking like 12 & 13 as they get ready for junior high. That way i can keep in touch and know where they are.
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 10:51 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• My son got his a few months ago, he just turned 11. But he will be playing football next school year, we'll use it for practice and out of town games. He does not take it to school but does take it to friends homes. As I can call and check in or of he's up the street, let him know its time to come home.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:54 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• We got one phone for the 2 older kids last summer. They could take it on bike rides, walks, going to friend's houses, after school sports, etc… They were 10 & 12, now 11 & 13. The phone spends most of the time on the kitchen counter next to it's charger.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:59 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• my 10 & 12 year olds both have cell phones and I am glad I got them, they spend the night with friends & family and this way I can call and check on them or text them anytime I want and the same with them, I wouldn't change my mind at all if I had it to do over, and believe it or not my girls take really good care of thei phones , they take better care of their phones than I do.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 11:02 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I could have used one in middle school because I stayed after school for a lot of different clubs/band/etc... I had to use quarters and a pay phone to call my mom to pick me up hahaha
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:25 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• i would say the earliest would be 16 and thats if the maturity level is there. If not then 18
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 11:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• My youngest was 12 when he got a cell - it depends on need and maturity level. Both my husband and I work out of town but wanted to be able to keep in touch with DS as he traveled between sports practices, after school activities, etc. It's a very basic phone with limited text, picture capability.
    pocmom

Answer by pocmom at 11:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2011