Help - Doc says Low-carb, low-sugar diet for me....

I have a $110/week food budget for my hubby, 2 kids (5&7) and myself. I usually need to spend about $130-$140/week for the minimum - that is without junk food, soda & processed foods. I cut out the junk to make budget. I already buy real meats, raw (not canned) fruits and veggies, but filled the void with rices, pasta & breads. Now that's not going to work - I can't have that stuff now either. We live in the Northeast, cost of living and food is high!! Any suggestions on how to make this work??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• you can't have brown rice even? just buy more produce at a farmer's market or something, it's summer
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 11:09 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• try that extreme coupon thing that everyone is talking about. i have not tried it myself but i went with my neighbor and saw that she saved a ton of money on groceries. I hope this helps.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 11:08 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• make omelets more and add what you can eat
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 11:13 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• hey i know how that feels i got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes so yeah no carbs or sugar for me and im 7 and a half weeks prego to top it! idk eat mor meat and less startchy foods such as bread pasta or rice and absolutely try and stay way from junk such as candy chips and soda pop! Its hard but if your pregnant then its worth it in the end :)
    angelmom1989

Answer by angelmom1989 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Doc said stay away from rice, IDK about brown rice. I'll have to ask. We don't have farmers markets around here, I wish we did =(.
    oh yeah, I'd could do egg white omelets, but only for me. DD & DH have egg allergies. Thanks =)

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:21 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Yeah I had gestational diabetes during my last pregnancy, but money wasn't so tight. That's basically the diet I have to go back on due to some health issues. Looks like I'm not going to like it anymore then I did back then. Only now it's not so easy to afford. This sucks, IDK how to afford this diet, it's much more expensive. Maybe I could just stop eating all together?? LOL

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:25 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• There is this great website called e-mealz and they can help put together low-carb meals for your family (feeds 5-6 people) using items that are on sale in your local grocery shop! They also have links for coupons and flyers.  I find it very helpful and I save money because I have a meal plan that I stick to..so it's worth the $5 a month. They also incoporate leftovers into other meals.

Check it out. https://e-mealz.com/index.shtml

tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:44 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Okay a diabetic diet is not a no carb, but a lower, healthier carb diet. I have a family of 4, I live in the Buffalo, NY area and I spend roughly $70 a week on groceries. I shop at discount stores, mainly Aldi's and Price Rite. I also shop my Farmer's Market and about once a month I go to Wal-Mart.

First thing you should do is meal plan, when you go to make your list write down each day of the week and schedule what you want to make for dinners those days, create your list based on what you don't have in your pantry to make those meals. I buy the big bags of frozen chicken breasts frequently because they are enough for 2 meals and maybe a lunch or two for me. A $4 bag of Salmon is 2 meals, $4 bag of tilapia is 2 meals, etc. So I have 3 meals right there for this week AND next week...I'll get 1-2 packages of ground turkey breasts ($2.49 for a 1.25 pound package)....each package is a meal....CONT
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:06 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• CONT.....so what you need is to cut white carbs, white bread, potatoes, corn, rice, pasta and sugary sweets. You can replace them with high fiber whole grain versions.....but lower the serving size as well. Brown rice is fine, but most just have half a cup cooked. I tend to buy the grains at Wal-Mart....I get a bag of organic brown rice that lasts a month or longer for about $3.50, I also will buy cous cous, barley, bulgar, quinoa and steel cut oats. I'll cook them in low sodium broth for flavor. And typically I'll cook a batch of one of those on Monday and it lasts for the family as a side dish for the entire week. You can save a bit by purchasing frozen veggies or visiting a local farmers market (www.localharvest.org) I even buy organic beef and chickens sometimes at the Farmers Market and fill my freezer when I can.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 6, 2011