How to be supportive and not wanna kill?

So my DH has taken up a new hobby and it is driving me nuts!!! He has started tattoing and it's not that im not ok with it he is actually really good at it, but i have expressed to him that i don't want him to completely cover himself with them. But everyday this is all i hear about and he keeps sneaking one in here and there. i keep telling him that i love that he has found something that he likes but if he doesn't stop tattoing himself all up then i won't deal with this anymore. How can i make him see that this is not something i want him to do while still be supportive of his hobby?

amberpaiz

Asked by amberpaiz at 11:16 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• It sounds like he's past caring what you think about it. Like he's decided for himself already that he's going to do this and it's his body and there really isn't anything you can do except get mad and that must not bother him. I'm sorry. That's got to be very frustrating. You've tried talking to him about it and that hasn't seemed to work so, IDK and I don't have an answer for your issue on this. I wish I did though.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 10:17 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• Has he asked any friends or relatives if they want free or cheap tattoos? Is this strictly a hobby or is he considering doing it as an actual job? My husband works in his brother's tattoo shop on weekends and every artist should have a portfolio and as much practice as possible and as a result many tattoo artists cover themselves with ink. Getting tattoos can also be somewhat addicting, I have over 20 right now and can tell you from experience once you get one it's not uncommon to immediately start planning out your next one or two...or five. Is there a particular reason you don't want your husband covered in tattoos?
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 11:30 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I didn't realize getting tatoos was a hobby. It's an expensive hobby, that's for sure.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• well he calls it a hobby b/c he does it out of his man cave. he bought all the stuff and does them himself. He has been slowly doing other people to get more practice b/c he wants to start earning money for it.
    amberpaiz

Comment by amberpaiz (original poster) at 11:29 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• yeah he has done so far like 10-15 tattoos on people to get the practice and has been taking pictures to build up his portfolio. And the reason why i dont want him covered is i grew up in this enviroment and im totally over it. i Don't want a husband that is totally tattoed up. And he knew this b/c we had discussed it before. i get it, i used to have a thing for piercings. But i don't do it anymore and we were on the same page til recently. He is also in the army and they don't exactly like them being totally tattoed up.
    amberpaiz

Comment by amberpaiz (original poster) at 11:34 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• To me it is his body and you should not be trying to tell him what he can or can not do with it, but that is just my opinion.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 5:12 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• can't he look for some willing volunteers? I have one that he can cover up if he'll do it for free....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:00 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• If the army does not want it,then he should not do it! Also if u have a problem too,u need to talk to him.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 8:22 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• thanks for the advice i have tried talking to him in a manner that was supportive and kind but that doesn't see, to be working i think he is taking it for weakness. I just didn't want this to turn into a huge fight. Yes he has people that have been volunteering to let him practice on but on the days when he has no one thats when he gets the itch and 2-3 hours later he has a new tattoo.
    amberpaiz

Comment by amberpaiz (original poster) at 9:41 AM on Jun. 6, 2011