Something I've always wondered and I was wondering if any of you had the answer? figured I'd see if anybody on this board knew

I remember when I was still breastfeeding when I would express the stuff went bad really fast,like 3-5 minutes even if it was refrigerated immediately. You would come back 15 minutes or less later and it would smell and taste like pure soap and it wasn't the pump because it even happened with hand expression and bottles that we'd only boiled sterile.

I know that I had a severe oversupply issue and I'd heard that that can cause an imbalance in the sugars(I'll I've got to go on was what I found online and while there is a lot on undersupply there's not much on the opposite problem).

While I really don't think I'll ever go back to nursing I was just wondering if they could be related or what would cause that kind of a problem? I know that quite a few women on here are knowledgable about this kind of thing so I figured I'd ask thanks for any help.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 11:46 PM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a friend who had an issue with an enzyme causing her milk to taste soapy if she stored it for any length of time. I'm not sure if it was as sugar issue, but it was definitely something breaking down when it wasn't supposed to. She figured out that to halt the enzyme, she had to scald her breastmilk before storing. It took them forever to figure this out because they initially thought their son just didn't like the bottles he was being given since he drank milk from her breast just fine. They caught it by accident when they decided to taste the milk and it tasted spoiled.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:33 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• i thought that i had answered this but apparently my answer never showed up. i had a similar problem and it drove me nuts and i got no answers so i ended up having to dry my milk up. So i hope that you can get this fixed and not have to stop like i did.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 12:35 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• It did it's over on the other one I double posted because sometimes it helps if people just don't seem to be posting on one board. I only do it if it seems like no ones answering for awhile.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 12:38 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• It means you have excessive lipase in your milk. You can find what to do about it (if you need to store milk) on www.kellymom.com
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 6:42 AM on Jun. 6, 2011