Breastfeeding question

I always wondered after that 3 month experience with my son. If you know that it wasn't an undersupply issue(in fact I had the opposite but no one could ever tell me much about it) what would cause a baby to feed for 5 hours almost straight?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 12:04 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe they were not feeding, maybe just pacifier-ing for comfort. I know plenty times my son would be done nursing and just using me as a pacifier, but the I'd just give him a pacifier after I would realize
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:05 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• thats a long time! Are you sure it was five hours straight? Any breaks in between at all?
    lovemylife88

Answer by lovemylife88 at 12:07 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• is he really eating all that time or is he suckling while sleeping?
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 12:14 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• 5 hours??....that seems a little long
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 12:24 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Because babies LOVE to nurse. There's no reason for it except that (especially when new) a baby, if comfortable, would hang out on the breast all day. Women in more primitive cultures wore their babies without a top on - basically for the first few months their babies did nothing but nurse. Not coincidentally, babies in those cultures never (or rarely) cry.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 6:45 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Because baby is normal. This is what they're programmed for!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:32 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Yeah, I would say that or cluster feeding? My son would nurse on and off for 3 hours in the evening right before bed because thats when he'd have his longest stretch before bedtime. I would sit back relax, get a magazine or a book you love and enjoy it because pretty soon, you'll be chasing them around everywhere!!
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 5:38 PM on Jun. 6, 2011