Is this cheap or just smart?

I want to get my husband a Samsung Rugby cell phone for Christmas. I can get one from AT&T as a refurb for $40, in black, which is the color he would want. Or I can get a new one for $129 in burgundy, which he might not like. Is it just too cheap to buy a refurb phone as a gift? Has anyone purchased a refurb before?

sariejack

Asked by sariejack at 9:24 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Can you tell it's used? Save the money. My SO loves it when I get more for less. He appreciates it. I got up for the day after Thanksgiving sales and saves like $400! It's the same thing. Consider it going a little green. LOL Maybe not really but you know.
    CM2TX08

Answer by CM2TX08 at 9:29 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I dont think so and if it is the color he wants I would go for it I'm sure he will be happy

sunkist78

Answer by sunkist78 at 9:27 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• DON'T DO REFURB they are junk i've had many refurb phones and hated them... and my hubby bought a refurb router for our internet.. guess what.. DIDN'T WORK. spent TWO hours on the phone with the hotline and the guy said.. we'll we tried eEVERYTHING I knew to do... needless to say we have to send it back now.

i don't recommend it
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:29 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Sometimes Refurbs work, sometimes they dont. i know we have bought many a things refurbed. I got a Kodak. easy share 8 megapixel camera and it was refurbished. it work great, just do research on the company selling it.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 9:46 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• What's the matter with refurbs? I buy refurbs all the time on Overstock.com. Smart, if you ask me. Sometimes all the previous customer did was open the box and change their mind and now they can't resell it as new.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 10:12 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I was thinking of ordering the refurb direct from AT&T, they do offer a 90 day warranty, so I guess if it breaks I could always get another. Does it make a difference in your answers if it comes straight from the manufacturer as opposed to someplace else, like eBay?
    sariejack

Answer by sariejack at 12:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• We bought one for our DD a few yrs back and it was fine and looked brand new..we had great luck with it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2008