Is it wrong for me to ask my bf not to do the things i cant do anymore?

when he drinks alcohol, plays video games instead of reading the baby books it makes me feel alone in the pregnancy. am i being selfish?

Hopeful44

Asked by Hopeful44 at 12:20 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Pregnancy

• No, you're not, but don't expect the same profound feelings you have come out of him, too. He cannot experience what you're going through because he doesn't have the hormone changes or the pregnancy symptoms or anything else that makes it a daily, and even minute to minute reminder to him of what's going on in your body. To him, it's an abstract concept of something that's going to happen in 9 months... kinda like long-term planning for a vacation-- something he's looking forward to, but you don't think about every second of every day.

Instead, include him as much as you can, and encourage him to share in your excitement. My hubby really looked forward to having a son, so he had a big hand in picking out decor that a boy would like and picking out clothes that he thought a son should have. He did stop drinking alcohol for the entirety of the pregnancy as a symbolic gesture of his solidarity with me, but no baby books.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:26 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I would make a deal with him -- you don't harp on him about the (occassional) drinking, if he will read the baby books with you instead of playing video games. He should get involved too.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 12:28 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• no i don't think so
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 12:30 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Sorry... i don't agree. I don't think you should nag (not saying you do) if he wants to have a beer or play a video game.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:00 AM on Jun. 6, 2011