Nobody told me it was a competition!!

I have a family member that no matter what i say my 4-year-old has recently mastered, lo and behold, her child (same age) has mastered the same thing too -- only does it a little better, longer, or in a foreign language (ha) -- I get the feeling the children are (in her mind) competing? Do you have anyone that does that and doesn't it drive you crazy?

BaileysMom476

Asked by BaileysMom476 at 12:35 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• My SIL is like that about everything!!! argh!!!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:36 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• yeah i have a friend that drives me nuts about how her hometown is the best at everything!! i just wanna yell then go back!!!
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 12:38 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• yes my aunt did that between me and my cousin. my mom and her would always fight about it
    Hopeful44

Answer by Hopeful44 at 12:41 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• My mil used to do that... she always seemed to know someone who had a child/grandchild who was my boys age, and of course that child was so much more advanced than mine, who usually ended up being on the 'stupid end' of the comparison. It drove me nuts and one day I snapped and told her in a kind of rude tone that babies all develop at their own rate, and I really don't care to hear about other people's kids (especially when she always made mine out to be the 'stupid' ones).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:45 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• how do you even put a end to this w/o losing the friendship? i wish i knew!!
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 12:48 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• amber -- hmmm, not sure I would even want to be her friend -- seeing as how she "settled" and all -- As for you, if it were a friend I wanted to keep, I may tell her that at times her remarks sound kind of like bragging to other people and how you KNOW she isn't doing that, but just worry what others may think?
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 12:54 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I can't stand to be around people like that...the "one upper" I just don't have time for people who just want to prove they are better than me. Real friends are happy for you they don't think they're better than you.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 1:08 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• The competition between moms seems to be a norm nowadays. I know the moms at our school (including my dd's friends' moms) are VERY competitive. To a point that if their child is good at something, they have to show it off to everyone at the assemblies. I also notice that in competitions (such as Reflections) the parents help the kids so they would win. I personally don't think that it's fair for a child who hasn't done his/her artwork or photography to win, but it's a losing battle.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 1:10 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I totally agree Ashoonik -- I have seen projects where the parents obviously put a ton of money and time into winning a ribbon in their childs name, How much sense does that make??
    BaileysMom476

Comment by BaileysMom476 (original poster) at 1:13 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• my aunt does that ... she say oh my daughters can walk now can urs and no mine cant shes also 3 months behind cuz she was 3 months early and my aunt knows it and still wants to compare the kids.. it pisses me off allt he time...
    babymama0000

Answer by babymama0000 at 1:14 AM on Jun. 6, 2011