7 month old getting spoiled?

James is 7 mos & finished teething on his 3rd and 4th teeth. Had severe diaper rash-was in a lot of pain, so I babied him a lil bit more & thought nothing of it. It lasted about 2 weeks. I didn't even know he was teething on the 1st 2 teeth. Now, he figgits & wants to squirm when being held & whines until you put him down unless you're me. He wants to be held by mommy a lot more! He never reached for me before, it was always Daddy. Now he whines until I come over to him & then shuts up & smiles. I stopped picking him up so much, but he still does it. He's never been like this, he's always been such a social baby... I don't want that to end. What do I do? Any one who has been through this or has suggestions? Is it just a phase? I don't want him to have seperation anxiety. He's with me all day and Daddy does a very minimal amnt of work. Maybe making him take over 9:00 feed & chage?

dlwsbjmknox

Asked by dlwsbjmknox at 9:31 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Children aren't "spoiled" by love and affection, they are spoiled when parents replace the love and affection they need with material possessions. (IE nothing says I love you like a new Xbox or whatever the latest gizmo is out there)

By providing him with ample love and affection, you're doing the exact opposite of spoiling.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 10:05 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Not spoiled. He knows there's nurture from you. Dads don't huver over them and baby them even when they are babies. I personally dont think that a child has seperation anxiety that early. Maybe but I think that you should leave him with dad, grandma, etc. and let him adjust to being away from you all the time. Then he wont feel as if he depends on you to get what he needs. Does that make since?
    CM2TX08

Answer by CM2TX08 at 9:37 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Not spoiled, just loves mommy! :) Mine does the same thing. If he can see me he starts crying and saying mama mama, so you are not alone. What I do is put out his playtime mat with some toys in the floor and let mine play with his 5yr old brother. I also try to get his dad to spend more time with him throughout the day...when he is home. Letting your hubby take over at 9:00 feeding sound like a good idea to me. My hubby and I have a nightly ritual with both our kids. We always give them both night-night lovins and my 5yr old gets storytime as well. Good Luck!!!!
    bamaunicorn

Answer by bamaunicorn at 9:46 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Before you know it your baby will be going to school and he won't even want a hug or a kiss. Let him sit on mommies lap. Get all the cuddles you can. You can't spoil a 7 month old

Answer by louise2 at 9:58 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Maybe you could let someone else hold him but spend time talking to him and paying attention to him while being held by someone else. Then slowly work away from them. Maybe he just needs some mommy comfort while he readjusts to being held by someone else? OR try to leave the room and stay out of sight while DH has baby time. Maybe he won't reach for you so much if you are not there to remind him that he'd rather sit with you?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:27 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• This is far from spoiling your baby. This is a phase that will last a while and switch back to Daddy, etc. and later back to you. You nurtured your baby when in pain and that comfort is still present when near you.

Truthfully, you should enjoy these times because they are short lived.
    Cene

Answer by Cene at 11:46 AM on Dec. 10, 2008