How late do your little ones play outside?

It's after 11:30 here and the 5 year old next door is still outside and screaming, and no adult is with her. When my kids were that young they were in bed long before now, heck, my kids are 11 and 16 and still not allowed out this late, especially on a school night..

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 12:40 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• mine come in at dusk or before
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:41 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• yeah thats ridiculous being summer or not they should not be out that late at that age!!
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 12:42 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• have you tried approaching the parents about it?
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 12:47 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• do the parents know that the child is still outside?
    amberpaiz

• during summer, till dusk, but I'm out there with them. School days, then are in at 6.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:09 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• My 4 yr. old comes in at 8:30 right before dark unless he decides to toad hunt with daddy then it's 9:30. But lately mosquitoes have been making it about 7:30.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 1:11 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• During the summer my kids have to come in when the mosquitoes come out.

DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 4:03 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• My dd comes in whenever i tell her its time....usually around 930-10....its light out til almost 930 and by 10 its total dark and the street lights are all on...so i think thats reasonable....the only rule is she needs to be in the front yard by 9...her friends can come play here til its inside time....sometimes we will have ppl over and they take her outside with them and play with her til she goes to bed
    macksmom716

Answer by macksmom716 at 9:01 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• @amberpiaz - yes, the parents know she is outside. It's not odd for her to be out until late hours. I haven't tried talking to the neighbors because the adults speak little to no English and my Spanish isn't good enough to communicate without fear of saying something I don't mean to.
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 9:10 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Summer is a bit different than the school year for us. We have a pool, so we tend to eat a bit later and our day goes a bit longer. Last night for instance we ate at about 7 and then they went swimming. Normally we like to be in by around 9 9:30 but some days we run a bit later, only if DH and I are out with them. I feel you though, most kids their ages...4 and 5 on our street, are out way later than I would allow my kids to be.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:35 PM on Jun. 6, 2011