How do you approach this?

i have a friend who is clearly mis-diagnosed her son to get sympathy from people. I have actually been to doctors appts. where i have heard with my own ears the doctor questioning her logic for thinking this about her son. I want to approach her b/c i feel that she is ruining her sons life and holding him back from everything. But she is very defensive about alot of things and i just know that she will get really mad at me. So how do i do this? Or do i just go my own way b/c i don't think i can watch this happen much longer.

amberpaiz

Asked by amberpaiz at 12:46 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• i would tell her because she is my friend and that gives me the right to question something when it may hurt her in the long run, and after i have said all i need to say i would go home and limit contact until she initiates it and is comfortable again.. but as a friend you have responsibility to confront her if she's doing something that will in some way harm her or her children.. dont yell or be nasty about it but confront her in a loving manner as if she were 18 and making a very poorly thought out decision for herself... and if nothing changes then you at least know you did what you thought was right..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 1:02 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• i would straight up confront her and tell her all she is doing is hurting her child and making herself look like a fool
    Hopeful44

Answer by Hopeful44 at 1:14 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• If you've been to the doctor with her before, you can call the doctor and express to him what's going on outside of his office - let him make the call. When you're along for appointments, call her out if she's wishy-washy, or lies about stuff.
    Anonymous

• will she listen to you at all
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:49 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• not alot that is what scares me she is really touchy on alot of subjects and i feel like this will definitely be one of those times when she blows up
    amberpaiz

Comment by amberpaiz (original poster) at 12:52 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• these are all really great ideas. I know essentially what i need to do i just also know how this is going to play out. i don't want her to take her little boy away from me he is the cutest little thing and he adores us as much as we do him. I'd hate to have to lose that b/c she is mad at me.
    amberpaiz

Comment by amberpaiz (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Coming from a mom whose ds is autistic, I heard numerous times from the "expert" doctors that there was "nothing wrong with my son". I'm not saying this is the case with your friend, but I can tell you that I lived with my child 24/7 and saw there was something up. Is he in school? If the school deems him typical, I would then question your friend. Until then, listen to her, she may just be right.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2011