Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Claiming newborn on taxes

I heard for some reason that we couldnt claim our baby on our income taxes until he is one year old. i dont know why that would be. i live in va if that matters.

Answer Question

Asked by mama28th at 9:39 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Money & Work

Level 2 (10 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • Nope, you can claim him for the year he was born. That's what we did.

    Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:40 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

  • Texas anyone claimed on taxes has to be born/living in that household for 6 months plus.

    Answer by CM2TX08 at 9:41 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

  • No, that isn't true on Federal taxes. As long as they were born before Dec 31 at midnight, you can claim them for that year.

    Answer by Jynnifer292 at 9:42 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

  • I went by what H & R Block said. We had them done there. Maybe the screwed up. I dunno. My dad normally does that for all of us, but he was really sick last year.

    Answer by CM2TX08 at 9:48 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

  • I don't know about state taxes but on Federal Taxes you should be able to claim the child as long as it was before before midnight on Dec 31st. If they tell you you can't ask for reasons and proof.

    Answer by TilmannsGirl at 9:48 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

  • On the Federal level, the newborn only has be born by on Dec 31st and you can claim them. I'm not sure on your state and I assume each may be different.

    Answer by customcat2000 at 11:06 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

  • Of course you can claim a newborn. That is why my idiot SIL was induced Dec 30th! (federal only I have no idea about your state.


    Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

  • On the Federal level you can claim your newborn for the year he/she was born even if the birth was recorded at 11:59 pm on 12/31/08.

    Answer by Madge1428 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

  • I thought on the federal level the child had to live with you for 6 months of that year.

    Answer by salexander at 2:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

  • From IRS: regarding the living with you six months rule: ""There are exceptions for temporary absences, children who were born or died during the year, children of divorced or separated parents, and kidnapped children. ""
    full article:

    Yes. You will need your child's SSN to file otherwise you will not be eligaible for the child tax credit.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.