did the question about

breastfeeding get taken off???? i asked a question in. well anyway the question was not tryin to start anything but for those of you who breastfeed do you do it so long bc its good for the baby or are you suppost to breastfeed longer then bottlefeed. i know most babys are suppost to be off the bottle by a year old my daughter is 15 months and she can eat everything i eat. i am thinkin about breastfeedin my next baby thats why i am wondering about this. oh and one more thing dosent it hurt??

mommy033

Asked by mommy033 at 9:54 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yea I think the question got deleted.

You do not have to breastfeed any longer than you want to. A year is when a baby can be switched to regular milk so they usually recommend you do it atleast that long. If you don't make it a full year then you should use formula for the remainding months of your childs first year. Most poeple who do it longer do it because it is healthy for the child. It is the best nurtition you can offer and it is tailored specifically to your baby. Alot of people also believe in self-weening, meaning they wean when the child shows they are ready, not when the mother decides she wants to quit. It is all up to you though. If you choose to breast-feed just know that you are offering your baby the best start at life. It doesn't hurt unless the baby is latched on wrong. If it hurt, pull the baby off and get them to latch on again until it doesn't hurt. Hope this helps!
    TilmannsGirl

Answer by TilmannsGirl at 10:01 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I tried to breastfeed for a year. I ended up breastfeeding about 7-8 mths until I didnt make enough milk. Then I supplimented with formula using a tippy cup. My last two kids never used a bottle. And yes I chose to breastfeed because its better for the child, boosts their immune system, and it also made me feel a special bond with my child. Does it hurt? It can if you dont do it properly but mostly no it doesnt hurt.

Answer by gemgem at 10:08 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I breastfeed my oldest till he was 18mo, my 2nd child I breastfeed till 2 1/2yrs. There are many benifits to extended breastfeeding for mom and child. Here is a link to learn more http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:37 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• It hurts at first until your nipples are used to the sensation of a proper latch, but once you and the baby get better at it, it is painless. You can breastfeed for as long or short as you want. I lost my supply after a stint in the hospital when my son was 3 weeks old, but he got lots of breastmilk in the beginning, so I'm hoping for better next baby... Good luck! It really is worth it!
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 12:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Most children wean themselves. I nursed mine until their 1st birthday. It usually is the mom that doesn't want to give it up. After all, Dad can't nurse your child only you can. I have only met three children that wanted to nurse after their first birthday. It is your decision. As for the pain of nursing, at first, there will be some pain. A nurse told me that she knew when she was dealing with a mom that had nursed before. We bring lanolin with us to the delivery;-) lol
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• My DS is 16 mos old and I still BF him. I BF his brother for a short time (10 months). I do it because I still want to, and I've since learned with this child the benefits of extended nursing. At first it did hurt, until your baby (and you) learn how to latch correctly. I plan on going to at least 2, and when we reach that mark we'll see where we stand. GL

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 4:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2008