Terrified of swimming!

So last summer my 4 year old was very close to knowing how to swim without any assistiance floaties etc. Then once he went out to far and went under. Now this summer I cant get him in the water not even with a life jacket! I have tried talking to him about happened and trying to get him to put trust backinto the water as it is a big deal to me as a family we spend alot of our summer doing water activites. Have you had the same problem have any ideas on how to get my little man back into the water? Thanks for any helpful advice and your time!

Destins_Mommy

Asked by Destins_Mommy at 1:52 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son is the same way and we just keep taking him out into the water. He fights us, but Saturday he fought us and after a few minutes was having a blast. My DS is autistic but we are not giving in. We are making him use a life jacket and holding him till he gets comfortable.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 4:01 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• For us it was all about the right floatie. We have a pool. I have older kids who are fish. Then I had two little ones and we had to start them getting used to the water. We tried holding our oldest boy and he screamed. If he was splashed he screamed. If we tried to get him away from the side or off the ladder he screamed. If we put him on a raft of boat he screamed. Then I found the Puddle Jumper at a local fishing and game store. You can get them online as well. They are good up to 50 pounds and our boys are unstopable in the water since we bought them. You will have to go slow, hold him tight and promise not to let go..until he is ready. Good luck, baby steps.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:29 PM on Jun. 6, 2011