• In the Spotlight:

My son is in constant pain!! About bowels, may be a little TMI. adult content

My 2 year old has had an irritation on his behind for a few months now it seems. I am at my wits end as to what to do for him. Every time he poops he gets these little fissures on his bottom and bleeds. He screams until he's read and sweaty. I took him to the Dr. who said it was bacterial (not yeast so no fungal infection she said??), prescribed an antibiotic and an ointment. He won't take the antibiotic no matter how I give it to him and the ointment didn't work. I broke down and took him to the ER a few days ago and the Dr. there says it's contact dermatitis. He said to leave him bare bottomed as often as possible, clean with unscented wipes since a washcloth will be too rough,dry thoroughly and slather the cream he prescribed onto him twice a day.

We have followed the Doctors advice both times ( I still find it disturbing that I got 2 drastically different diagnoses and still have no solution). Nothing has worked. It's so bad now I'm almost in tears every time I have to change him. He doesn't sit in it, I leave him long enough to make sure he's finished and then I take him, clean him and leave him be for a while. If I catch him acting like he has to go I put another diaper on to avoid accidents. While he's exposed to the air, it seems ok but as soon as he moves his bowels again the bleeding starts. I'm hoping this is something that isn't serious, but I can only think he has some sort of virus and it's presenting this way. But my poor little baby is miserable and goes through this 3-4 times a day since he can't push it all out at once due to the pain.

PLEASE if anyone has any ideas/advice LMK. We have switched diaper brands a few times and it doesn't make a difference.

momofour09

Asked by momofour09 at 2:13 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Kids' Health

• althoughit is not the same a a diaper rash (from what I gather) I WOULD DEFINATELY tell you about "crisco lard" blue can. My Dr said it and I swear by it.. both of mine. use this on his hiney. IT DOES NOT BURN, like other oinments and creams do. It does coat the area and still allows it to get air. when i used this within the 2nd application the bright redness was pink and the 3rd time, it was even lighter. They are able to pee, poop with out the burning. just reaply each time you change him. * others are amazed by this also*. Good luck
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 2:40 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I would tr the anibioic and lethim take it himself. My son stoped taking meds when I tried givivg it to him and I couldn't hold him down bc I felt too bad about it. The moment I suggested letting him give it to himself I never had a problem.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 2:37 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I am sorry but the only thing I can say is go to another doctor ask for test my baby was constipated but because i switched him to whole milk and he would have the same symptoms as your son I would sit their and cry as well. It might be something he eats.
    roxy0522

Answer by roxy0522 at 2:39 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I don't know if it's the same thing; but My son went thought a similar experience. I found out that he was sensitive to acidic foods (like sauce; OJ; caffeine; chocolate). I use to put milk of magnesia on his butt (my doctor was very old fashioned lol; but some of the things she recommended really amazed me; and worked)! The milk use to soothe his butt and helped the rash dry and clear up. Butt Paste also worked;( one the rash dried up a little) use to be able to find it at Babies R Us. I hope this helps and best of luck to you and your little one!
    Mom_Of_3_Angelz

Answer by Mom_Of_3_Angelz at 4:12 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• My Ds has had this at least once every other week since he was a month old. Dh and I call it the Burny-poop, because that's exactly what it is. He blisters really bad, and it doesn't matter how soon you get it off. It also has a particular smell, I know immediately when that's what it is, before I even look. I have used A&D ointment. Not the cream, the actual goopy ointment. It works very well. we cut anything spicy or acidic from his diet, and narrowed it down to pepperoni. He eats it now, and has no trouble with any one particular food. If you find a solution, do let me know. Butt paste didn't work on him, but I just squirt a glob of A&D over his anus and let it spread out on its own.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:58 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Is he constipated, cuz that's what it sounds like. I would try a different route - get a good probiotic - one that comes in capsule form and needs to be refrigerated. Once or twice a day, use his favorite food to give it to him - my kids prefer it in applesauce (I buy unsweetened applesauce, mix half a capsule into about half a cup of sauce, add a dash of cinnamon, and they have it gone in 4 bites - don't mix it ahead of time, do it immediately before he eats it). You can add it to most any food, but do not warm anything up after putting it in, and don't pre-mix it as it does affect the food. Anyway, it helps keep the bowels happy, and makes for easier BMs - softens hard poop, binds diarrhea, makes the bowels healthy thus making everything else in the body healthy.
    Anonymous

• Poor guy. Several of these suggestions are really good, particularly the crisco, milk of magnesia, and a&d ointment hints.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• sounds like he's allergic to something. the acid could come from meat. and pestiside in fruits and veg and greasy food (deep fried, gratin dish)could also cause this. i think vitamin c could help.
    3pippings

Answer by 3pippings at 10:08 AM on Jun. 10, 2011

• @ Kimkh, I'll try that and see if it helps but if it's not a bacterial infection it will be pointless :{ @ roxy0522, we took him to 2 separate doctors. The one isn't even affiliated with the hospital we visited. I'm just hoping this doesn't turn into a circus of taking him from place to place until someone gets it right. I will do what we have to, obviously but it's always troubling when the medical professionals can't give you answers.
    momofour09

Comment by momofour09 (original poster) at 2:44 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I understand you I just can not imagine how both of you are in pain good luck
    roxy0522

Answer by roxy0522 at 2:45 AM on Jun. 6, 2011