Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Do my parents have a right to deny me to see my son?

I recently moved out of my household because my father was abusive towards me in front of my son. I went to bring my son back to my new apartment and my parents are refusing to even let me seemy son. Further more, I worry my dad will be abusive towards my son. I have been there for my son for all of his 2 and a half years of life and its killing me not to see him. My parents are telling me I need to check into a hospital, for reasons unknown to me. I have no history of drug use and the only mental illness I have wrong with me is depression. I never ever even hit my son or would I even think about it. And now they even moved my ex (sons father) into my old room and threw out all my personal items. Remind you, this man hasnt been in our life for all of my sons existance and all of a sudden he is there to back my parents up. Is there anything I can do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

Answers (23)
  • Do your parents have any sort of custody agreement with you or anything court ordered? Like say, guardianship? That'd be the first thing that needs answered.

    Answer by Razelda at 4:24 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • Basically, if they don't... You should call the cops. It's considered kidnapping.

    If they do, then you have to agree to the court order... whatever it might be. Then you can petition with the judge in hopes to regain custody once your situation is stable enough to handle reunification with your child.

    Answer by Razelda at 4:25 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • if they don't have custody then call the cops right now. they have no right

    Answer by CEWarsop at 4:27 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • If they don't have legal custody of your son, then you need to call the police and just have them escort you to your parents house so that you can pick up your son, you don't have to press charges or anything like that, just have them be there so you can get him. They have no rights at all to keep you from your son unless a judge has told them that they do.

    Answer by Lucky209 at 4:27 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • uggg...i wish i could kill asholes! REALLY! if they have no legal rights call the cops asap! now even...yes in the middle of the night...get a few ppl with you to not only be there for u, but to witness. I hope you can do this!! even if ur underage, they cant do this!

    Answer by Susannah19 at 4:27 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • oh...and i SOOO WOULD PRESS CHARGERS!! F them!

    Answer by Susannah19 at 4:29 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • OP do you have any sort of custody arrangement with the father? This could get pretty dramatic, honestly. With him living in the house and them having your son right now, without a custody agreement I am not sure IF you could call the cops and have them give your son back to you tonight... But this really boils down to the current custody agreement with everyone. Hope you respond so we can help you.


    Answer by Razelda at 4:30 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • ugg im soooo mad for you!!! i like wanna come help you sooo bad! funny i can do it for other with no problem, but wheni need a backbone to the asshat dad of my daughter i cave, but we do have a legal agreement :-( felt forced to...please fight!!

    Answer by Susannah19 at 4:31 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • Even if he is dad, it doesnt matter if ur not married, go get ur kid and update us!!

    Answer by Susannah19 at 4:32 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • If they do not have any custody then the true answer would be no. BUT - if you left the house and had no contact for (I think) 48 hours then (in most states) that is considered abandonment and they could have gone to the courthouse and been awarded temporary custody without your knowledge. You should definately contact the police and possibly a lawyer. It has been my experience that unless you have a certified copy of a custody agreement (from the state you are in) showing that you have custody of the child then the police are reluctant to get involved when it a family dispute. It Should be a cut and dry case of kidnapping, but it rarely is.
    Good luck!

    Answer by shareleann at 4:32 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.