Prada or Nada???

I need to know what tell tale signs to look for when dealing with "it is really designer" purses.

I was at a garage sale over the weekend. Older ladies getting rid of a bunch of stuff. They were selling a Prada and a LV purse for $5 each. I know right, tell tale sign that it is a fraud, but the LV actually had the certification, the prada didn't. Well I bought the Prada (the LV was cow print and ugly).

So the question of the day is: Do I have a real Prada or Nada? I don't care either way, but even for a knock off it was a deal. It would just be nice to have an idea.

fingers crossed

MamaSunshyne

Asked by MamaSunshyne at 5:16 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Most authentic totes have either a control card or control number on the inside, as well as a certificate of authenticity. The number on the tag or control card should match the number printed on the lining. If you can, register your bag.

Check out the hardware: Hardware is important. On knock-offs, the hardware tends to be oversized. For instance, the trademark name-plate may be huge on a knock-off. Many authentic designs also have details such as a logo or letter on the zippers and clasps.

Check the logo: Always pay attention to the pattern of printed monogram styles. Sometimes instead of a "C" for Coach, you may see a "G" or an "O." Burberry might have an "S" on the end. Or you might see an "LX" instead of an "LV" for Louis Vuitton. And while the patterns may sometimes be correct, they may be inverted, or the letters in the monograms may not connect where they would on the real thing.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:21 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Details, details, details: Little details such as quality and color can be telltale signs of a faux. According to Loreen Chapman, a Macy�s handbag expert, you can often tell an authentic bag from a fake by the lining and stitching. She says fakes sometimes have threads hanging from them or fraying in the corners. Genuine bags are also often lined with fabric with the brand�s specific logo or monogram on it. The fabric and the lining should be able to withstand more wear and tear if the purse is real. On a reproduction, the stitching may not be completely straight, or may be a different color. Even the color of the outside of the bag may be a little off.
    Razelda

• The touch, the feel of faux: You should be able to tell the difference between a real designer and an impostor by touching the bag and feeling the softness of the leather or suede. Fakes tend to feel more like plastic. Also, check out the weight of the bag, as leather and suede are heavier on the real thing.

I hope this helps!
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:22 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Mmm here. Read this too :

http://reviews.ebay.com/Authentic-PRADA-purse-buying-guide_W0QQugidZ10000000000799478

Wish I could help more. There isn't a pic and I can't actually feel the purse =P GL!
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:26 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 10:59 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• FAKE! if it was real, she wouldve been selling it for hundreds! you can sometimes find real ones on ebay but to be safe you just have to bite the bullet and buy from the actual store.
    alboston

Answer by alboston at 11:09 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• On yard saling you have to know what you are looking for their are rich folks that get rid of things like that for uber cheap I know the area where I live like that :)
    djavongirl

Answer by djavongirl at 12:53 PM on Jun. 6, 2011