Super cheap recipes? (Family of 4)

My food budget has hit a all time low. Looking for some super simple recipes or tips.

MamaSunshyne

Asked by MamaSunshyne at 5:50 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Food & Drink

• campbellskitchen.com has great recipe ideas. Here's 10 recipes under $10 http://www.campbellskitchen.com/collections.aspx?c=1211&fbid=-cNAZukZc0Y It even tells you how much each recipe costs. Mushroom smothered beef burgers cost $6.43 to make for a family of 4. They have a whole Savings Center.

kraftrecipes.com also has abudgetwise section http://www.kraftrecipes.com/budget-tips/main.aspx , They have a 1 bag, 5 dinners menu where 5 dinners will fit in one paper bagwith a shopping list for 5 days

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:05 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I buy 10 lbs of hamburger when it goes on sale and usually pay around $20 for it. Then all I need is pasta, sides, or whatever and I am able to do dinners for very cheap. As for lunches we do left overs, peanut butter and jelly, tuna, or whatever meat was on sale for sandwiches. Breakfast is easy I cook every morning. Eggs are cheap and you can add cheese, onions, or whatever it is you like and their full awhile.
    Drink wise we buy bottled water (dont wanna hear it) 24 for $2.49 at aldi's and flavor packs hawaiian punch etc at walmart are 10 for $1. It comes out to less then 25 cents a drink. They can refill their water bottles. The usually only get 1-2 flavored drinks a day.

Answer by gemgem at 7:52 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• pasta or vegetables ?
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 6:00 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I always buy boneless skinless breasts in the 'big buy' pack when it goes on sale. Usually at my Shop Rite its 1.99 a pound and there's a coupon in the flyer to make it .99 a pound. I don't buy it for more than that, so figure out what your areas all time lows are and wait for that. When I get home I portion it up to enough for one meal and then freeze it. Whenever we have a chicken meal, I take a bag out. M meals end up being under $5 usually, becaues the price per meal is usually around .50.
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 7:34 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• $5-$7 meals for 4.......................... Spagetti: 1 lb ground turkey (buy frozen it's cheaper), spagetti noodles, sauce, small salad (buy veggies whole and cut yourself, it's cheaper and makes more)..................Taco Salad, 1lb ground turkey, 1 bag tortillas, 1 taco seasoning (or make your own for less), use salad veggies, 1 small sour cream, salsa (dollar tree).............Stir Fry: butterball smoked turkey sausage sliced, box rice, 1 bag steamed veggies, stir fry sauce...................Pasta salad: 1 box whole grain spiral pasta, can corn, can peas, can black beans, can chicken (optional), 1 bottle salad dressing (I prefer italian or red wine vinegrette).................Breakfast for supper: eggs, 2 potatoes diced for hashbrowns, bacon or sausage (sausage is cheaper), box bisquick for homemade biscuits (much better value as you'll get lots of uses out of it)...................
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 9:13 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• This is my specialty..lol Plan your meals according to sales not according to what you want each week,be flexible with your menu. Boneless chicken is great, never pay more then $1.99lb..Usually 2.5lbs feeds my family, 3 adults & a 6yr old. Even cheaper would be thighs, wings, drumsticks, you can get them for under $1.00lb. I have paid .39 cents several times. If you get thighs you can ad a can of cream of chicken soup after browning them & serve with rice. We get rice 8.99-9.99 for the lb bag. Put it in jars and it will last awhile! Pasta under .75 cent a box you can make spaghetti with or without meat sauce, pasta primavera, yummy! McCormick has recipe inspirations which are 2/3.00 and they have all the spices you need and the recipe. Get cream cheese and make fettuccine Alfredo. You can always ad shrimp to ether when thats on sale. Ground meat, ad onion gravy& cream of mushroom. Good luck! Also,, clip coupons!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 9:30 AM on Jun. 6, 2011