Putting baby on a sleep schedule?

how do you do it? does it work? and how young can you start and how long does it take? ive heard of books you can get but im not really able to get any at the moment.

xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 6:05 AM on Jun. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You'll probably get 10 different answers from 10 different people. I believe schedules and babies do NOT mix. However, routines and babies go very well together. You have to figure out what works best for your baby. And never expect it to stay the same thing. The first year is FULL of sleep disruptions: frequent growth spurts, developmental milestones, teething, vaccinations (if you do them), and so on.

Figure out a routine and go with that. Typically speaking, infants in the first several months should be heading for a nap within 2 hours of being awake. Look for their tired cues and get them ready for a nap using whatever routine you have set up. I personally soothe mine to sleep with nursing or rocking. My son is 6 months old and takes 3 1-2 hour naps in his crib and at night we cosleep, so no getting up.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 6:38 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• They will work themselves into a schedule over time. I agree with PP that you have to watch for the signs of them being tired and put them down for a nap/bedtime then. My kids became very predictable once I learned the signs that they were tired. Have a consistent way of putting them down. Do it everytime and they will learn that it is now time to sleep.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:01 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• I put all 5 of mine on a schedule from birth. Of course, it was led by them each time but I worked to get it where it worked with the schedule I already had in place with my older ones. At the hospital, they had me nurse them every 3 hours, so I kept that up when I got home. I woke them up every 3 hours during the day to nurse, changing their diaper, undressing them, etc. whatever I had to do to keep them awake long enough to get in a good feeding. I would let them sleep as long as they would at night, but I woke them at the same time every morning and nursed, even if they had been awake only 2 hours before, to keep them on the "schedule" Of course, it was somewhat flexible as you have to be with a baby, but I firmly believe that having a schedule helped them sleep through the night early (all 5 were sleeping at least8 hours/night by 2 months). It also helped in scheduling my appointments, trips to the playground, etc.

Answer by missanc at 11:56 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• you can start in day one if you lijke, but you have to put together a schedule for yourself first which one works for you too. At the beginning my son doesn't know the schedule I think after a month or 2 he's out by 9pm. I usually bath him a hour before his bed time and after that I'll give him his last bottle of milk then around 9 I'll be in the dark room rocking him to sleep. He'll pass out like a light. Def by 3 months he's following the schedule at night. There's no nap time schedule for my son tho he sleeps whenever he likes. NOw's he's 6 months and can sleep ffrom 9-7. Also try not to change the schedule
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 12:13 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Yours is a newborn... really too early to expect much, due respect to missanc. I found trying to schedule was like trying to herd cats... and the cats would have been easier.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:30 PM on Jun. 6, 2011